Why are T. Blondi's so expensive?

angelarachnid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
HMM,

Just a few points,

Most T. blondi are wild caught,

Very few blondi are captive bred....mainly because people dont season the adults

Most blondi slings are from wild caught eggsac..so not captive bred.

Most of the blondi i have had have been wild caughts, and i ahve never had any problems with them.

If the blondi died after a year, then i would say that is either old age or bad husbandry as in not seasoning the spiders properly ie giving a drier period or wetter period.

Many reasons for spiders dying are always put down to the specimen being wild caught, NEVER they are being kept wrong.

Without wild caught we have no captive bred, without a trade in wild caught specimens we dont get the dealers carrying on with thier businesses so no new species.

SUPPORT WILD CAUGHT.

Ray

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
angelarachnid said:
Many reasons for spiders dying are always put down to the specimen being wild caught, NEVER they are being kept wrong.
I agree 100%.

Sure that are sometimes parasites and such that will play into it, but that excuse is used too often to make up for less-than-ideal husbandry.

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ShadowBlade said:
I don't believe that's the answer at all. If that was the only factor, then they'd be bred just as often as other T's, and everyone would have one.
But Becca did make that point in her post, don't want to cut it up...

I think its the difficulty in breeding them, and their availability. (In the states that is).
"then they'd be bred just as often as other T's"
They are not that easy to breed and dont get that big sacs, and juvenile/sling death is quite high..

Theye are very nice and impresive spiders

Niklas>> sorry, I ment in Sweden... here juveniles often go for about 350-450:- (swedish), so the price has gone up..
But ofcourse they are cheaper in Europe (read Germany ;))

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
over here in the partly sunny south england, the T. Blondi is an expensive spider. Slings are about £20 (c. $40) and large juv/ adults ar around £100 ($200). Not sure on what the adults are but they are £100 - £200. P. metallica prices here are blown out of proportion £90 for something a bit bigger than an egg on legs.

LMS

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Bearo said:
"then they'd be bred just as often as other T's"
They are not that easy to breed and dont get that big sacs, and juvenile/sling death is quite high..
Exactly my point! I said if popularity was the ONLY reason (meaning ease of breeding wasn't an issue) then they would be bred more often, and become common.

But they aren't easy to breed. That is why they are expensive. Popularity doens't have much to do with it. (There's already plenty of demand).

Fullstop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I gave in...I just ordered 2" of T.Blondi goodness!!!

It's easily the most expensive! :D

angelarachnid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LimaMikeSquared said:
over here in the partly sunny south england, the T. Blondi is an expensive spider. Slings are about £20 (c. $40) and large juv/ adults ar around £100 ($200). Not sure on what the adults are but they are £100 - £200. P. metallica prices here are blown out of proportion £90 for something a bit bigger than an egg on legs.

LMS
Most blondi slings in the UK are around £10, and at the BTS Exhibition females can be bought for around £30-40. Where are you seeing blondi offered at these prices?

Actually the metallica are a bit bigger than EWL almost 3 times the size, and still sell for £90. Many of the cheaper ones being offered on some websites have turned out to be ficticious and i know people who lost alot of money trying to buy them.

But the price of metallica will start to come down soon....................trust me

Ray

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
angelarachnid said:
HMM,

Just a few points,

Most T. blondi are wild caught,

Very few blondi are captive bred....mainly because people dont season the adults

Most of the blondi i have had have been wild caughts, and i ahve never had any problems with them.

If the blondi died after a year, then i would say that is either old age or bad husbandry as in not seasoning the spiders properly ie giving a drier period or wetter period.

Without wild caught we have no captive bred, without a trade in wild caught specimens we dont get the dealers carrying on with thier businesses so no new species.

SUPPORT WILD CAUGHT.

Ray
Ray, The more posts I read of yours, the more I agree with you. I like your way of thinking. Perhaps because it so closely resembles mine:clap:

Cheers

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bearo said:
Didnt Stefan (Phalagorn) get a monster sac from his old female? near 200 slings...

Wish_mastera

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think they're expensive, because they are about 150 eggs in the sack. In comparison to A. Genic which produce normally over 1000 eggs, thats nothing. Also I think the subadults and adults should have higher price, because of difficult to rise them fron slings. Bad molts, parasites and so.

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
to compare a spider whos slings are as large as the other species as juveniles isnt the best Idea IMO...

Imagine how large a blondi sac would be if it contained 1000slings.. When I got a sac from my old female it was H U G E!!!!!!! It contained somewhere between 150-200 eggs... atleast. Sadly it dried out.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
angelarachnid said:
ive heard this aswell.also i think wc specimens play a huge role in keepin fresh bloodlines in the hobby.

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MetalDragon_boy said:
Didnt Stefan (Phalagorn) get a monster sac from his old female? near 200 slings...
195 if I remember correct.. and that is one of (or the) biggest recorded from BTS I think (according to Stefan)

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Probably because people actually buy them.

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
angelarachnid said:
Most blondi slings in the UK are around £10, and at the BTS Exhibition females can be bought for around £30-40. Where are you seeing blondi offered at these prices?

Actually the metallica are a bit bigger than EWL almost 3 times the size, and still sell for £90. Many of the cheaper ones being offered on some websites have turned out to be ficticious and i know people who lost alot of money trying to buy them.

But the price of metallica will start to come down soon....................trust me

Ray
locally down at southcoast exotics in Cowplain. Thats the only really local place you can get them apart from getting them posted down or collecting from places across the country, being in portsmouth London is as ''local'' as we tend to go in an evening.