whtas my g.rosea doing?

xjak3yx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
today my g.rosea has been very active spinning a web over her substrate and hasnt stopped all day. it isnt too think but is clearly visable . she has only spun it over the dry end of her cage im nt too sure what she is up to . can any one help me?

i was wondering if she doesent like the substrate i use which is terranium humus(the one you get in a block and dissolve in water) or mayby getting ready to do sumthing imnt too sure:?

Beast3194

Arachnopeon
I'm new too the tarantula world so I may be way off,but could it be a moult mat.:confused:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe an upcoming molt. They'll do this also if they don't like the substrate. One of my rosea's has a thick carpet of webbing all over the entire floor of her tank. How moist is the substrate? Rosies detest moisture. 'Strate should be bone dry with just a water dish for moisture.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm new too the tarantula world so I may be way off,but could it be a moult mat.:confused:
Molting mats will most likely be pretty thick and suspended somewhat from the sides of the cage or other objects kinda like a hammock just barely off the ground. I'd say watch and wait and allow the strate to dry out.

xjak3yx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes the substrate is dry and the webbing is covering half of the cage (the end she stays up the most)

xjak3yx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
also this substrate has been used since i bought this T (nearly a year ago now) and hasnt been webbed as much b4
this might be a silly question but do they change their minds about what substrate they like

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When was the last time it ate? Also, is it a male? Could be a sperm web?

Spider45

Arachnopeon
Mine did this from the the first day I put her in her cage, She was living in a large deli cup 4" in diameter, the same as her leg span with no substrate (pet store). I think she's just happy to be on something other than plastic and is letting everything knows it her territory.

Jim

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Rosies do strange things, mine webs lots too...even up between plants and other decor, as well as the substrate. I've heard that the webbing can be related to somewhat of a "tripwire" but I could be wrong, that's just what I heard. Yeah, molt mats are generally pretty thick. Make sure everything is bone dry too eh.

xjak3yx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no worries shee molted over night so she was spinning a molt mat jus a big one ;) thanks for everys1 help but now after her molt she seems not very stable and floppy is this usual?

Last edited: