Who's captive breeding what???

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi kids,
So, who's captive breeding at this stage and what are y'all breeding. Also, why are you breeding the species you are?

I've got a few gravid Selenocosmia crassipes at the moment, am working with Selenotypus sp. Phglogiellus spp. and waiting for some Selenocosmia stirlingi to mature in the next couple of months.

I found another new species last year and am also trying to get them going, from the genus Selenocosmia.

I'm at second generation with the S.crassipes and one of the Phlogiellus sp. All breeding is done at the moment for exportation to you lovely folk. Been working on this for the last six years, gotta prove second gen capabilities before I can legally export over yonder. The crassipes are about a month away. The first shipment is close!!!

What's everyone else got going at the moment???

Thanks,
Steve

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Soon I hope to be breeding some A seemanis. But i dont think it will be a success cause they are hard to breed.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
AWESOME!!!!! We can't wait...over here on this side of the big pond ;)
Here, at my house, this is what's going on:
borrowed males:
G rosea~ breeding because although they are cheap as WC, we need to be thinking of the future, when either Chile closes exportation, or they get harvested beyond recovery
E campestratus~ because it's a GREAT beginner species, and relatively easy to breed
B smithi ~ well, I shouldn't have to explain that one ;)

Males I have out on loan:

G pulchra
P cambridgei - male got munched
C brachycephalus

Eggsacs: at the moment, another (my second) P murinus. Good practice, people want them, and an easy and fun species to raise...hardy little buggers, grow like weeds, and mean as hell :eek:

And, I have FRESH male L cristata people...... I think he's going to John Hoke for breeding, so we'll see how that goes.
Here are my thoughts on CB... in this small of a hobby, it may just be overkill, but I feel it's an opportunity, and almost my duty, as at some point, WCs will no longer be available. I would like to do my part to further this hobby if possible. I have an inordinate amount of males maturing, and I would rather see them bred, then sit here pacing the containers!

motorteipidpa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thats cool,australian tarantulas.i always saw them on animal documentries and stuff and knew that tarantulas lived in australia and wondered why there are no australian tarantulas in the hobby.are the species coming to the US going to be the first australian species in the hobby?
Tom

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
captive breeding

Hi Holley,
Great breeding list!! And you're 100% right about breeding G. rosea. When they do become illegal to import into the States, they'll become one of the most highly prized of the T's. Tough species to breed though, good stuff!!!

And smithi, well, like you said, no need for explanation.

Cheers,
Steve

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Steve

I have a few( literally) 1st/2nd instar L. difficilis from a captive breeding project. I also have a T. blondi that I suspect may be gravid as well as a possibly gravid L. parahybana. I put 2 N. coloratovillosus together 3 days ago and witnessed a successful insert.

Several years ago in a failed attempt to streamline my collection, I decided that I would only keep a few genera. I sold everything other than my; Brachypelma, Grammostola, Pamphobeteus, Lasiodora, Theraphosa, Nhandu and Xenesthis. As of now, my main focus is on breeding New World terrestrials and I generally try to keep at least 2 mature females and a few sub-adults of every species that I have.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Tom,
They sure will be, well legal imports anyway.

Cheers,
Steve

Originally posted by motorteipidpa
.are the species coming to the US going to be the first australian species in the hobby?
Tom

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by JP version 1.0
I sold everything other than my; Brachypelma, Grammostola, Pamphobeteus, Lasiodora, Theraphosa, Nhandu and Xenesthis. As of now, my main focus is on breeding New World terrestrials and I generally try to keep at least 2 mature females and a few sub-adults of every species that I have.
Hi,
Geez, that reads like my favourites list!!! Can't beat the Pamphos and Xenesthis spp. Nhandu are something else too. Did you ever have any luck with the Pamphos???

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
Soon I hope to be breeding some A seemanis. But i dont think it will be a success cause they are hard to breed.
Hi,
It's important that with the harder to breed species that everyone who tries this should work together and record any data, however irrelevant it may seem, for the purposes of future breeding attempts. Good luck with it!!!

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Hi,
Geez, that reads like my favourites list!!! Can't beat the Pamphos and Xenesthis spp. Nhandu are something else too. Did you ever have any luck with the Pamphos???

Thanks,
Steve
Unfortunately not. I have alot of mature Pamphobeteus females and some males that should be maturing shortly. So there is hope on the horizon!:)

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G. rosea
Pterinocholus sp. "Usambara"

I also have a C. brachycephalus and an H. albostriatum (both unsexed) that should be maturing soon, then I'll be loaning them out or trying to find mates.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Let's see......

out of three female robustums that were bred one has molted, still waiting to see if the other two drop a sac.

male regalis living with female now, no signs of any hookups

two female bicoloratums being switched with a male

waiting on a male versicolor to breed with my two females

about 15 h. spadix (desert hairy scorpion) babies still second instar........the female was bought gravid and dropped the babies in my care so this really does not count

group of 7 g. pulchras of different sizes.......future breeding project

group of 11 b. smithis, future breeding project
Ed

I can't even remember how many males I have out on breeding loans....

Last edited:

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
this is what I have

These females are gravid:
Ceratogyrus Marshalli, Ceratogyrus Brachycephalus, Haplopelma Minax, Haplopelma Sp./ aureopilosum, Psalmopoeus Irminia, Chilobrachys andersoni, Haplopelma Schmidti, Heterascodra Maculata, Cyriopagopus paganus, Ephebopus Murinus,

soon to be gravid Chilobrachys Fimbriatus, Haplopelma Lividum, Selenecosmia Dicromata, Ornithoctonus Andersoni

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
Let's see......

out of three female robustums that were bred one has molted, still waiting to see if the other two drop a sac.

Hi Ed,
I love robustums! How large are your females???

The smithi project will prove an interesting one, particularly if you have success. Got some spare room??

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: this is what I have

Originally posted by Haploman

soon to be gravid Chilobrachys Fimbriatus, Haplopelma Lividum, Selenecosmia Dicromata, Ornithoctonus Andersoni
Hi,
What is it that draws you to the Asian old worlders?? It's all I keep and I was just curious as to your choices?

Thanks,
Steve

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Hi Ed,
I love robustums! How large are your females???

The smithi project will prove an interesting one, particularly if you have success. Got some spare room??

Cheers,
Steve
Hey Steve,
the female robustums are probably about 7" or so legspan (I never have measured them).
plenty of room for the smithis and hopefully their lings if I am successful. already had one male mature out this spring and he was sent out on loan to two different people, the second guy's female ate him.
Ed

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
Old worlders

Old worlders are my favs but Im patiently waiting Selenecosmia Kulluensis or Himalayana you have any lol I sure want an adult female and male if not slings

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Have a female G.rosea with eggs. Plan to breed my female Poecilotheria fasciata. Sent Pamphobeteus female to todd gearhart since he will no doubt do her justice ;)

-V

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ive never bred anything, although as soon as i get settled into my new home next week i plan on starting. i have no plans on anything particular yet, but i want to start with something easier to breed (if only these damn usumbara slings were mature). Are rosehairs pretty easy to breed vayu son?:?