who to watch out for

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
You can pretty much say I'm a virgin to this new world of T's, so go easy on my lack of knowledge. I've read that some are more poisonous than others, usually one from tropical regions. I realize that it's mainly dependant on an anaphylactic reaction that a person may have to the venom. What are some of the more potent/venomous T's out there?

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Mr. Ed, Welcome to the boards. The more venomous one are most the one referred to as new world, mostly the African and Asian species. Here are a few of the more potent genus, Stromatopelma, Pterinochilus, Haplopelma and Poecilotheria would be the most common. Hope this helps, and don't worry about your lack of knowledge as we all started there and you just took your first step in fixing that by asking. Greg

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bearskin10
Hi Mr. Ed, Welcome to the boards. The more venomous one are most the one referred to as new world, mostly the African and Asian species. Here are a few of the more potent genus, Stromatopelma, Pterinochilus, Haplopelma and Poecilotheria would be the most common. Hope this helps, and don't worry about your lack of knowledge as we all started there and you just took your first step in fixing that by asking. Greg
Hi Greg,
You mean "Old World" as "New World" is the Americas ;)

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bearskin10
:8o it is 3am and I am very sleepy:D
It's 11:28 am here so I'm wide awake :D

Mr Ed.
Just to reinforce Greg's initial post, the tarantulas considered to have more potent venom generally come form Asia and Africa, and are know as "Old World" tarantulas. They are generally faster, more defensive and prone to bite than New World (ie North & South American) species.

Heterescodra, Stromatopelma, Haplopelma, Poecilotheria and Chilobrachys are all genera common in the trade that are considered to be more potent than many. Pterinochilus, Ceratogyrus, Cyriopagopus, Hysterocrates and a few others are also probably worth a mention :)