Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Who is owning the oldest tarantula?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Vanisher, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

Advertisement
    I guess that an Aphonopelma chalcodes female can live pretty darn long! I also think Pelenobius muticus! (Was that genusname correctly spelled?) Will get damn old, based on how slow they grow and how large females get!
    I have heard stories about B harmorii living up to 30 years as well?

2. natebugman

natebugman Arachnoknight Old Timer

My first tarantula was a Lasiodorides striatus. I got her in 1999 as a full adult. She's still going today, but her last molt was about 3.5 years ago in a deli cup I packed her in to move from Florida to Texas. Also, I purchased some 0.5" L. striatus slings back in September of 2012. Almost 7 years later, the largest one is an immature male pushing 4", the females are between 3 - 3.5". So, assuming that the females mature at around 10 years of age, that would put my adult at 30+ years old. I know it can't be verified, but there's no way she's less than 25 years old.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

it was not...lol

4. Just kidding about their tendency to be pet rocks, but yes, I agree on how sloooooow they are taking their time to grow.

5. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking

@Vanisher The ever elusive G.potato is quite rare but appears every now and again when users are posting on AB through mobile.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  6. Rigor Mortis

Rigor Mortis Arachnoknight Active Member

Ah the G. potato. That's an Idaho native species right?

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

I have one around same estimated age , these are probably one of the top 10 longlived species . If not #1 had mine 13 years was full grown adult at purchase she’s 5.5” and stocky.

Trapdoor can live that long? I have no doubt the show growing tarantula species females can live longer!!
    The hobby isn’t even that old yet? In USA at lease. Maybe I’m wrong when did Stan Schultz? And the t keeper get wrote ? Did hobby start I. Late 70s-80s?
    I’m too young to know when hobby officially started doubt a trapdoor can out live a desert tarantula. G porter I even or red knee .
    Is the trapdoor record ligit?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2019
  8. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

If only she was a tree, we'd learn for sure when she passes.

9. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

Haha! Thats life!!

10. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

My Avic is over 36....

months old ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Allow me to emerge from years of lurking to use my first post to share with you one of the most incredible and fully verified stories I've ever read. The story of #16...

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/new...he-worlds-oldest-known-spider/?outputType=amp

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  12. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoprince Active Member

Wow, @creepsinc, that is incredible! Thanks for sharing!

Arthroverts

13. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

Very impressive may tarantulas and trapdoors share the crown for age /
    I’m sure that some species of T can live that long or older just not well studied
    enough.
    Amazing Article!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.