white stuff

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my h. gigas has webed up her burrow on both ends and has been in there for almost 6 weeks. which i know they can take that long or longer to molt.
what im concerned about is that i checked on her last night by useing a flashlight and looking up from the bottom of the tank i can see in her burrow. when i was checking her out i noticed a white area. her sternum is pure white. but only the sternum. the rest of her looks perfectly normal and she was moving around.
so should i be concerned about this white spot. it doesnt really look like mold but im at a total loss of what it could be but ive never looked at her bottom side before a molt so i also cant say its never been there before.
i really dont want to force her out to get a better look but i dont want to ignore it if its possibly something life threatening. thanks for any advise.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
my h. gigas has webed up her burrow on both ends and has been in there for almost 6 weeks. which i know they can take that long or longer to molt.
what im concerned about is that i checked on her last night by useing a flashlight and looking up from the bottom of the tank i can see in her burrow. when i was checking her out i noticed a white area. her sternum is pure white. but only the sternum. the rest of her looks perfectly normal and she was moving around.
so should i be concerned about this white spot. it doesnt really look like mold but im at a total loss of what it could be but ive never looked at her bottom side before a molt so i also cant say its never been there before.
i really dont want to force her out to get a better look but i dont want to ignore it if its possibly something life threatening. thanks for any advise.
I dont understand what you are describing , can you get a pic maybe thru the container?

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sounds like a job for the Q-Tip or soft bristled toothbrush. I've had something similar in the past with one of my T. blondis. I threw on a thick glove, armed myself with a wet Q-Tip, and scrubbed her clean. Not sure what it was, but nothing ended up being wrong with her.

Last edited:

timwaters2007

Arachnopeon
It could be spider poo but i doubt it. A gigas in a confined place could end up with it over them.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no way on the pics. there are just holes here and there you can see through.
it actually looks like someone took her out and painted her sternom white, its not clumpy or rough. and no where else. dont see any mold in the tunnels at all and nothing white anywhere on the soil or glass. seeing as how she is getting ready to molt i may just keep an eye out to see if it speads.
you all think that would be the best thing for now ?