whipscorpion

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all,

Here's one of my whipscorps from Tanzania, I imagine they are Damon species. And sweet as can be! Despite all appearances! As you can see this one is missing a whip. Does anyone know if these regenerate with molts or not? Does this family molt after maturity?

TIA!

Cheers,

Paul

Attachments

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Amblypygi

Yes, that species is of the genus Damon. Amblypygids can regenerate limbs with molts, but they do not molt any more after reaching maturity.

Alex S.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Amblypygi

Originally posted by Alex S.
Yes, that species is of the genus Damon. Amblypygids can regenerate limbs with molts, but they do not molt any more after reaching maturity.
Alex S.
Alex,
Do you mean they have an ultimate molt, or a maturing molt, and that's it?
Not to contradict what you said above, but I have a female, who was imported carrying eggs. She gave birth and reared the babies as normal. A few months later she molted (and regenerated a missing "whip"). I paired her up with a male who bred her later on, and for a 2nd time she gave "birth" to many perfect babies.
I know nothing of the natural history of this species and I have this girl for over two years now. What do ya think?
john

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
La Riz,

Thankyou for posting this experience!! That's incredibly good news for me and the girls (and guys) I have!! :) =D =D =D

Hopefully the Damon I have do the same!

Best wishes,

Paul

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Re: Re: Amblypygi

Originally posted by LaRiz
Alex,
Do you mean they have an ultimate molt, or a maturing molt, and that's it?
Not to contradict what you said above, but I have a female, who was imported carrying eggs. She gave birth and reared the babies as normal. A few months later she molted (and regenerated a missing "whip"). I paired her up with a male who bred her later on, and for a 2nd time she gave "birth" to many perfect babies.
I know nothing of the natural history of this species and I have this girl for over two years now. What do ya think?
john

Hey Lariz, Damon species go through 7 molts with the 6th being the maturing molt and the 7th being the ultimate. Your female must have bred and layed her eggs during the 6th and then regenerated on the 7th molt. Thats great to hear that she is nice and healthy :)

Alex S.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
arghh!! lol!

Well, I guess I can always hope that these girls with one missing whip are in their 6th molt!

:D

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by phoenixxavierre
arghh!! lol!

Well, I guess I can always hope that these girls with one missing whip are in their 6th molt!

:D
Sorry Paul :) Its too bad Amblypygids dont keep molting after maturity like tarantulas.

Alex S.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Amblypygi

Hey Lariz, Damon species go through 7 molts with the 6th being the maturing molt and the 7th being the ultimate. Your female must have bred and layed her eggs during the 6th and then regenerated on the 7th molt. Thats great to hear that she is nice and healthy :)

Alex S.
Alex, what is the Damon's life span? what size is everyone using to house their adults in? I had 11 second instars, sold all but two and they are around 2" or so now, I have them in tall 1 gallon rubbermaid style clear containers. they seem less sensitive to humidity requirments as they get larger.
Ed

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Amblypygi

Originally posted by atavuss
Alex, what is the Damon's life span? what size is everyone using to house their adults in? I had 11 second instars, sold all but two and they are around 2" or so now, I have them in tall 1 gallon rubbermaid style clear containers. they seem less sensitive to humidity requirments as they get larger.
Ed
Hey Ed, adult Damon live around 5-6 years. Yeah, the young are very humidity dependent, more than the adults.

Alex S.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Amblypygi

Alex S.
Thanks for the info Alex, I had no idea (actually didn't really think of it), that they stopped at 7. So, obviously they are still reproductive after that seventh molt, as in my case.
john

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Amblypygi

Originally posted by LaRiz
Thanks for the info Alex, I had no idea (actually didn't really think of it), that they stopped at 7. So, obviously they are still reproductive after that seventh molt, as in my case.
john
No problem John. Yes, they are reproductive afterwards. Its good to hear you are breeding your female :)

Alex S.

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a picture of John's girl offspring. I tell you they are really neat to watch at feeding time. It's awesome how she extends her front claws or whatever you want to call them and watch them grab their prey.

Attachments