whipscorpion protection

Whitdadie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How exactly do whipscorpions protect themselves? They seem so evil and dangerous but I know their not, well i have read they are not. Do they just run away when in danger or can their "whip" acutelly whip the preditor? Their claws also look like they could cut flesh, is that the case? Just wondering, Thanks.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Assuming we're talking about Uropygids, aka whipscorpions and vinegaroons, they're primary defense is their ability to spray an acedic acidic compound from glands located at the base of the flagellum (tail). Presumably this tastes/smells very bad or is an eye irritant to potential predators so they usually leave them alone. To humans it smells like vinegar. I suppose the claws could be used defensively, but the most I've ever gotten is a weak pinch.

I don't know if the tailess whipscorpions, (the amblypigids) have any chemical defenses, at least I've nevr noticed anything with mine. Their defense seems to be based on being flattend and cypticaly colored making them hard to see and able to slip into tight crevices. They're also quite fast, and are known to drop legs readily if grabbed.

Wade

Edit: Just looked at the "whipscorpion" post. Is that the animal you were reffering to? That's a "tailess whipscorpion", or amblypigid that I refer to in the second part of my response above.

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's a pic of what a vinegaroon, the other whipscorpion, looks like.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Amblypygi Defense

If you are reffering to the Amblypygids (Tailless Whipscorpions) their main defense is their incredible speed and agility. They are very good at hiding and can slip into the smallest cracks and crevices with amazing speed. If they are caught though they can use the sharp spines on their pedipalps to try and stab at the enemy. Also, as Wade said, they can shed legs if attacked.

Alex S.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
has anyone been sprayed by a vinegaroon? I have had several vinegaroons and never been sprayed by them. what is the largest size the Mastigoproctus Giganteus (hope I spelled it right) vinegaroons reach?
Ed

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had them spray many times. There's usually not a lot of liquid, more of a vapour. I think it evaporates almost immediately after being released. It just smells like vinegar. You might be able to smell it on your fingers for awhile but it disapates quickly.

My understanding is that the North Amercican speces, Mastigoproctus giganteus is the largest in the world. Big males can be 3"+

Wade

Whitdadie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, at first i was talking about the tailless whipscorpion, but the other ones also look pretty cool. So they run and hide primarily, then spray, then drop legs. Very interesting! Im used to just being cautious of tales dropping on lizards. Im just getting back into inverts (used to keep scorps). Thanks for the info.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't *THINK* the tailess whip scorpions spray anything, only the vinegaroons. The vinegaroons are also very slow and calm compared to the tailess whips.

Wade

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Uropygi, Amblypygi

Yes, the vinegaroons (Uropygi) use the spraying and occasional pinching as deffense. The tailless whipscorpions (Amblypygi) use their speed and hiding, shedding legs, and sometimes stabbing with the pedipalps as deffense. The Amblypygi do not have any spraying ability though.

Alex S.

Whitdadie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This might be dumb but was exactly is the pedipalps on the taleless whipscorpion? Im guessing the arm/claw thingys because they are the only things that look like they can stab. But they do have the big whips on their head, do they do anything with those?

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Uropygi

Originally posted by Alex S.
What do you mean by size defferent Ed?

Alex S.
sorry, had a brain fart there, I edited my post to be more specific.
Ed

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Amblypygi (Tailless Whipscorpions)

The pedipalps of the amblypygids are the limbs that are covered in sharp spines and are used for capturing and killing prey, and for deffense. The "whips", which are modified legs that are attached to the cephalothorax are very important as they are used as sensory organs. Amblypygids use them to feel around their environment and sense prey and predators.

Alex S.

Whitdadie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
very cool. are the taleless whipscorps hard to keep? if they are built for speed and hiding then im guessing a larger tank would probably be need eh?

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Whitdadie
very cool. are the taleless whipscorps hard to keep? if they are built for speed and hiding then im guessing a larger tank would probably be need eh?
IME the amblypigids are very humidity sensitive when they are small and they seem to get hardier as they get some size on them. I keep the small ones in tall (12") clear rubbermaid type containers, they have white lids that screw on. I drill as many 3/16" ventilation holes as I can in the lid for ventilation. I use resin or plastic fake hollow branchs for a hide (many pet stores have these in their aquarium sections for fish).
Ed

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
arg I just got a 4 inch one today, eating fine I dident know they where humidity sensitive though I tried looking for care data all I found was care sheets...