Which tarantula?

JackV

Arachnopeon
Im having some issues choosing my next tarantula. This would be my 3rd, although the first one passed away. My choices are an A. moderatum, or a C lividus. They are both really beautiful, and I need the goods and bads of both. I’m fine with either.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Im having some issues choosing my next tarantula. This would be my 3rd, although the first one pasted away. My choices are an A. moderatum, or a C lividus. They are both really beautiful, and I need the goods and bads of both. I’m fine with either.
A. moderatum unless you like obligatory burrowers which good chance either will dig one. I wouldn’t get C lividus without doing plenty of research there fast and bitey. I still haven’t had one.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im having some issues choosing my next tarantula. This would be my 3rd, although the first one pasted away. My choices are an A. moderatum, or a C lividus. They are both really beautiful, and I need the goods and bads of both. I’m fine with either.
An OW T- you should wait
Mod- it’s not docile like some other Apho

Do more research than asking too, read on AB

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
C. lividus is not a good choice for your third T - I would strongly discourage you from getting one. A. moderatum would be a good choice. They stay relatively small (5" give or take), are hardy and easy to care for, and look good. All the normal Aphonopelma drawbacks apply (slow growth rate, known to go on long fasts, can often be a pet rock, etc.), but these are all things that can be managed with proper husbandry.

Tbone192

Arachnobaron
A moderatum for sure.

C lividus are very pretty. I own numerous OWTs but never this species. They are the poster child for feisty fossorials, very fast and angry ball of blue. Definitely not a good 3rd T but put in time and research and one day C lividus is on the table. If you want a blue spider get Lasiocyano sazimai, fantastic NWT with great colour.

Last edited:

AMGTarantulas

Arachnopeon
I would go with the the Moderatum! Neither of my cobalt's come out. I see them maybe once every 6 months or less.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Aphonopelma moderatum is a personal favorite of mine. I do not recommend this T for you though. You don't have enough experience in rehouses and this T is known for it's defensiveness. If not bitten you will be sprayed with UrS. Have you done proper research on best practices in rehousing defensive NW T's with UrS? I highly suggest looking into it.

As far as Cyriopagopus lividus this is definitely not for you. Have you even communicated any of this to your parents?

If you're not aware this is an OW with medically significant venom or if you prefer very potent venom. C. lividus are known for biting twice in one lunge. If you get bit and envenomated you are going to the ER for pain management. I bet if your parents know this they will tell you no.

Wait until you have more experience in the rehouse department before getting any T's that not only require it but demands it.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Maybe get t albo ? Or something suggested here.
Aphonopelma moderatum is said to be bitey like my a anax long lost ages ago was. She was angry always. So just be cautious.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
make your parents aware if you get that c lividus :rofl:your mom would be pretty pissed i think if it escapes and you have an old world running around with a possibly nasty bite

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
make your parents aware if you get that c lividus :rofl:your mom would be pretty pissed i think if it escapes and you have an old world running around with a possibly nasty bite
Worse than catching a loose pokie I bet …. 🤣😠😠 I rarely got threat poses.

JackV

Arachnopeon
Thank you! This is the exact kind of comment I was looking for. Me and my dad are very passionate about owning tarantulas, and we are in the market for one. I did know that these are old world, and will be looking for a different species as soon as possible, although our local pet store doesn’t have the widest selection. Thank you.

Aphonopelma moderatum is a personal favorite of mine. I do not recommend this T for you though. You don't have enough experience in rehouses and this T is known for it's defensiveness. If not bitten you will be sprayed with UrS. Have you done proper research on best practices in rehousing defensive NW T's with UrS? I highly suggest looking into it.

As far as Cyriopagopus lividus this is definitely not for you. Have you even communicated any of this to your parents?

If you're not aware this is an OW with medically significant venom or if you prefer very potent venom. C. lividus are known for biting twice in one lunge. If you get bit and envenomated you are going to the ER for pain management. I bet if your parents know this they will tell you no.

Wait until you have more experience in the rehouse department before getting any T's that not only require it but demands it.
Thanks for the in-depth reply especially. I didn’t mean to annoy you in any way, I’m still getting to know all the tarantulas.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Thanks for the in-depth reply especially. I didn’t mean to annoy you in any way, I’m still getting to know all the tarantulas.
Maybe I came off harsh that was not my intent. The passion and responsibility for arachnoculture always come first for me.

My first consideration is for a positive and responsible light on T keeping.

What paints a negative stigma on this are beginner's that jump right into owning OW's. Although many have and were successful that is not always the case.

There have been those that wound up at the ER. Some of those made it to the local news outlets. The bad publicity paints a bad image to the public. Not just the public but government agencies that already have a negative stance on anyone that owns any, (what they term) exotics.

The best advice given will always be in the best interest of the animal, whatever animal that may be. In this case attention I gave was for the animal and injuries to it or you that brings a negative result to the animal and arachnoculture.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
Thank you! This is the exact kind of comment I was looking for. Me and my dad are very passionate about owning tarantulas, and we are in the market for one. I did know that these are old world, and will be looking for a different species as soon as possible, although our local pet store doesn’t have the widest selection. Thank you.
look around for online retailers theres some good ones with all kinds to choose from

Mustafa67

Arachnoknight
Im having some issues choosing my next tarantula. This would be my 3rd, although the first one passed away. My choices are an A. moderatum, or a C lividus. They are both really beautiful, and I need the goods and bads of both. I’m fine with either.
Those are such opposite Ts, its very random to compare these.

3rd tarantula and a defensive old world (C Lividius)? No, just stupidity.

Grow a brain and do some research. A Moderatum would be my recommendation of these two.