Which Tarantula Should i Get?

devbuckey

Arachnopeon
Soon ima get my first tarantula and I cant decide which one i want. Here's my choices: a 1 1/2" OBT, a 3/4" Giant White Knee sling, or a 1/2" Chaco Golden Knee sling. WHich should i get? thanks

baconmushroom

Arachnopeon
It all boils down to what you want, some would say that OBT are a no no for starters and I have to agree with that cause they are fast really evil fast, but
from the choices above..you can choose from the 2nd or 3rd..but if you want to go and give an OBT a try then go ahead..just make sure you read the care sheets and don't forget to ENJOY your T. :D

Welcome Aboard.

heatfreakk3

Arachnopeon
Hi, I am new to T's also. Lots of people have been suggesting B.smithi (Mrxican red knee) to me for a beginner T. They are pretty calm and slow. Also sorry I dont remember the scientific name, but the Green Bottle Blues are really sweet to! People have been suggesting those to me as well.

devbuckey

Arachnopeon
I like the red-knees but they are a tad bit above my price range. I wanna get something below $20 or 25. Im gonna order from CaptiveInverts.com cause they r close to me and seem awesome people to deal with. And plus shipping will be cheaper.

jb62

Arachnosquire
Starter T's range from the normal like curly hair,redknee,pink zebra beauty,chili rose,pink toe,green bottle blue.
Then if you want size there's Brazilian black,salmon pink ( very big ).
Then if you want to jump in the deep end there's
the white knee and obt ect.

It's down to what you feel you can deal with..
Research it and if you feel it's the one for you then buy.
At the end it's your t and your choosing..
Enjoy it.

heatfreakk3

Arachnopeon
Sorry I dont mean to hijack this thread... but how big to salmon pinks adn Brazilian blacks get? I have a N.cromatus and it seems like a pretty chill T.

jb62

Arachnosquire
Sorry I dont mean to hijack this thread... but how big to salmon pinks adn Brazilian blacks get? I have a N.cromatus and it seems like a pretty chill T.
salmon pinks get to 10 inch plus and G.pulchra ( Brazilian black ) 8 inch.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Out of the three Chaco Golden knee would be the most docile and the Gaint white knee would be my second choice. OBTs can be a handful and are definatly not for a beginner.

Good starter T's would be:

The Brachypelmas:
B.Smithi
B.Emilia
B. Boehmei

The Grammostolas:

G.Rosea - is a classic begginer T
G.Pulchra
G.Pulchripes

Or perhaps one of the Avicularias like a versicolour or something

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If i had to choose out of the three you had listed,my choice would be the Chaco.The best thing would be to do your homework and read up on whatever it is you might be interested in and base your decision from there.The most important thing to remember is that any tarantula is capable of biting you no matter how docile they are said to be and there are no guarantees with any.Best of luck with your first purchase.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
how do you go from choosing between an OBT, A. geniculata and G. pulchripes? :?

The OBT makes those two look like a fluffy teddy bears! lol

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The one good thing about the obt is that they are pretty hardy. But I wouldn't have it as my first. Go with the Chaco or White knee.

Den

Arachnosquire
Call me crazy, but I would go with the P. Murinus. In fact I have one on order from Ken right now. Too me it's about trying all different kinds of species docile or not. And yes I'm a begginner. :D Just get ever you feel like getting. But you must research so you understand how you tarantula is expected to behave. I researched information on P. Murinus for about a month or more before ordering. So go with your gut! :D

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd go with the Chaco. Large, beautiful, and easy to take care of.

devbuckey

Arachnopeon
thank you for all the replies. I might go with the Chaco Golden Knees. I've looked up the care sheets on them. But do you guys have any tips on caring for Chaco Slings?

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
Personally, I wouldn't get the chaco. Or at least not a sling. They take years to mature. OBT takes much less time. In the time it is growing, you can get more experience. If it were me, I would get all of them. You will eventually anyway:cool:.

--Dan

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so how long will it take for a chaco sling to get to like at least 3"?
well, i can give an outline of how long it took (with powerfeeding) to get my male to 3". it's up to you how you feel about powerfeeding though. i kept mine at roughly 82 degrees and fed as often as it would eat, until the 10/13 moult (which you can obviously see changed my results)

purchased 2/8/10 at .5" with an old moult already in enclosure

~2/8/2010 .5"
4/20/2010
6/13/2010
8/9/2010
9/11/2010 1.5"
10/13/2010
1/29/2011 3"

hope that helps :D