Which T Should I Get?

Which tarantula should I get?

• Poecilotheria

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Pokie

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Tarantula From India/Sri Lanka Containing Species Such as "Metallica", "Regalis", and "Smithi"

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Arboreal OW Tarantula Starting with "P"

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Pokies are awesome! I really envy all of you for having one. At first, I was able to convince my parents to let me buy a Pokie, but then they saw robc's video (nom nom), and...yeah, not too thrilled about it anymore. Just wanted to share this with all of you. Have any of you had any problems with OW's/getting OW's? P.S. The title and poll is a joke.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
never had a OW but i got a irmina ive heard there around the same temperaments start with an irmina or cambrigei there fun :D

fearcrazy8

Arachnopeon
I don't have any experience in pokies, but I have some experience in other OW species. I haven't had any real problems besides the obvious ones, first is the speed, at any given moment a OW species can go up your arm and bite you on the nose, then run back down into its cage and hide before you have any time to react (slight exaggeration, but it gets the point across). Second is the aggression, I haven't had a single OW species that is docile, which kinda adds to the excitement of keeping them. Third is the venom, hasn't been an issue with me cause I have yet to get tagged by a OW species, but there is a bit of intimidation when ever I open up the cage because I know the consequences (Thanks to Robc)

How do you know if your ready for OW species? The answer is as simple as a question. Can you keep your hands off your T, and accept them as display only pets? If you can, then go for it, I don't think you'll have much problem.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Don't bother with pokies.

Get a poecilotheria, or an arboreal OW tarantula starting with P.
I guess you can try to find one native to India/Sri lanka if you can't find the others.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The OP does have an OW species already, a C. fimbriatus. Which I really do hope you are getting more comfortable with.

I say you are ready for a pokie when you don't have other people to worry about.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I doubt your parents are trying to be a killjoy. Don't know if things have changed, but I seem to remember your parents help a lot with your tarantula care & accidents have happened, as they sometimes do. You have to keep in mind that if they are still helping, then their health is also on the line, not just yours. They probably don't want to go through what robc experienced.

I'd love to get some hotter species of scorpions, but my mother lives with me at the moment & has health issues, so I won't go that far.

There's a whole world of other OW species, & still lots of NW species, that you haven't experienced yet. I agree with going for a Psalmopoeus species. They are a great species regardless of what else you've kept.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
The OP does have an OW species already, a C. fimbriatus. Which I really do hope you are getting more comfortable with.

I say you are ready for a pokie when you don't have other people to worry about.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I doubt your parents are trying to be a killjoy. Don't know if things have changed, but I seem to remember your parents help a lot with your tarantula care & accidents have happened, as they sometimes do. You have to keep in mind that if they are still helping, then their health is also on the line, not just yours. They probably don't want to go through what robc experienced.

I'd love to get some hotter species of scorpions, but my mother lives with me at the moment & has health issues, so I won't go that far.

There's a whole world of other OW species, & still lots of NW species, that you haven't experienced yet. I agree with going for a Psalmopoeus species. They are a great species regardless of what else you've kept.
The C. Fimbriatus has actually become my 2nd favorite T. The best part is that it made a little hollowed-out home at the bottom of the container/enclosure and always sticks around there, and it's the only part of its burrow that we can see.

You're completely right. This was my first worry about OWs, but it never occurred to me when I started wanting a Pokie. I know they're not trying to be killjoys because they do help me a lot. Even though I take care of my Avics completely alone, there is a huge health risk, plus it would just be a hassle if my parents, or I, got a bite.

...Pokies are still awesome...

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
I'd say go for it, but be prepared for some speed... A paintbrush and gentle motions do calm them down quite abit, well it works on all of mine :D If you do decide to get them, here's a good piece of advice. No matter HOW LONG you've had them, ALWAYS have a catch cup nearby when cracking the lid. As they usually 100% of the time bolt for the hide when disturbed, but not always and it's good with these guys to always have a plan B... or C ;) They really are worth the trouble though, IMO