Which species require highest humidity

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Right I have a little dilema,

I have just purchased a new T tank and it is geared towards higher humidity, so i'm deciding who to put in it.

I have just recently aquired a Cobalt Blue and its's even more aggressive than my Baboon Spiders! :eek:
It ran straight up the glass and almost escaped, beautiful and deadly but now I have seen it in the flesh it's one of my favourite T's ever!

Anyway I have these 3 and i'm deciding who wants the highest humidity.

King Baboon Juvenile (10cm approx)
Cobalt Blue (13cm)
Cameroon Red Baboon (17 cm)

I also have a Salmon Pink spiderling that is 2cm but I heard they don't require as much humidity.

Who requires the highest humidity out of these 3?

jb92

Arachnopeon
i would say the cobalt blue as these come from asian wet forests, the salmon pink would be the runner up and then the baboons i would say usually prefer it dryer. hope this helps
jb

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i would say the cobalt blue as these come from asian wet forests, the salmon pink would be the runner up and then the baboons i would say usually prefer it dryer. hope this helps
jb
Thankyou mate

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Couple more opinions would be cool :D

Alboy84

Arachnopeon
Hi,

Yeah I would agree with jb92, H lividums generally need a higher humidity. Once that LP gets older (or bigger) shouldn't need too much more than a large water dish. Not sure about the other two...never kept those species. I don't think you need to go overboard on any of those species with humidity to be honest.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the insightful information guys, my dilema was that they all need elevated humidity levels (compared to the regular terrestrial T) but the tank I have my 10-12 cm Cobalt in is larger than the 13 inch ventilated critter keeper I have my 7 inch Cameroon in.

She was in a plastic snake keeper with damp substrate and eating well, since I have moved her to the critter keeper she hasnt eaten but is still plump and oddly she keeps leaking hematonin from her leg joints (which has now hardended) and her abdomen has a bald spot, I don't think shes molting because she last molted in september 2010.

I tried covering the lid with clingfilm with a few holes but that made the substrate smell after a few days so I removed it.

So how can I keep the humidity at a good level in a critter keeper?

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I also have a 2" 1/2 in L.P i always keep their humidity levels between 75-80% since they come from the jungles of Brazil.
Common misconception, but L. parahybana isn't endemic to the jungles of Brazil. Correct country, incorrect region.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Deadly? For what, crickets?
H.Lividum are aggressive, maybe not deadly in that sense but I heard they do have relatively potent venom.

Anyway are you going to contribute to the topic or just sit there and be sarcastic to my dramatic paraphrasing?

Robertb

Arachnopeon
hmm interesting.. see this is why im glad i joined these boards :D

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hmm interesting.. see this is why im glad i joined these boards :D
Indeed. The Paraiba region (from which the species name "parahybana" is derived) is on the eastern coastline of the country. Still on the humid side, but nowhere near as humid as the jungles.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
H. lividum certainly aren't deadly.

Out of the species you mentioned, yes, H. lividum would have the highest humidity requirements.

I'd say if you really wanted something humid, get T. blondi.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Sorry I can not stop commenting when I see something unreasonable. After keeping Cobras and Death Adders for years, a spider that may at most cramp you up a bit for a few days doesn't sound "deadly" to me.

As for your original inquiry, out of your list the "deadly" one needs most humidity.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry I can not stop commenting when I see something unreasonable. After keeping Cobras and Death Adders for years, a spider that may at most cramp you up a bit for a few days doesn't sound "deadly" to me.

As for your original inquiry, out of your list the "deadly" one needs most humidity.
I shouldn't even need to define the word "deadly" when we are talking about Tarantulas... isnt it common knowledge that no tarantula (known in the hobby) is actually deadly, with a few species being more dangerous than your average T in venom potency (Pokies, King Baboons etc).

Maybe I should just have put aggressive instead, but picking at one word which should have been obvious what I meant in the first place defies logic.
In the latter statement I was commenting on their aggressiveness when compared to other Tarantulas.

Or maybe you felt demasculated because your a deadly cobra wrangler and me calling a Tarantula deadly irritates you somehow.
Why would you even bring cobras into this?, in which case i'll bring up that I keep monitor lizards and they are "deadly" predators of your cobras (venom immunity).

While monitors can be dangerous to humans because of deep lacerations that could become infected they are not deadly relative to humans, but to certain snakes they are deadly predators, see what I mean? :D

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

If you still don't get what I mean, here it is in black and white I was comparing the fact that the Cobalt blue looks absoloubtly stunning in person but it's appearance belies it's temperement.

Let's switch the word to vicious, so we don't have to continue this mundane/pointless debate.

Imbrium

Arachnopeon
The problem with using deadly is that although it would seem to be common knowledge that no T has venom really capable of killing you, it's not. Lots of people don't know that. So it's not as obvious as you would think.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The problem with using deadly is that although it would seem to be common knowledge that no T has venom really capable of killing you, it's not. Lots of people don't know that. So it's not as obvious as you would think.
I guess I have to watch my wording in future.

I am going to say this though, people who are scared of defensive spider go get yourselves a docile species then, such as the Chilean Rose.

Why buy a dog like a pit bull when you know full well they can be dangerous... certain people respond to the allure of owning an "aggressive" species, so if people are informed there are aggressive species out there.
I personally see know problem with this.

When I was starting out I heard of them and I took advice and got myself a Rose Hair until I was ready enough to branch out.