Which species are of questionable purity?

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
I have been finding a lot of posts regard hobby form hybridizations. So far Ceratogyrus sps, Hysterocrates sps, Brachypelma vagans and sabulosum. What other species have questionable purity. As a beginner, I would like to know what else is out there. In the pigeon hobby many breeders tried to push off cross breeds as pure. It's very discouraging to spend money and find out it's not what you thought.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
havent heard of any Ceratogyrus hybrids... but i have heard of Avicularia, Psalmopoeus, Poecilotheria.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
theres pics and a description on tarantulapedia.com, maybe theres some hybrids out there but i think this is a actual species.

Bread

Arachnopeon
H.gigas is supposed to be a hybrid of various Hysterocrates. Pure ones are known as Hysterocrates sp cameroon.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Not many can tell B.sabulosum from B.vagans,I'd say the hobby forms of those are pretty muddy.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Brachypelma albopilosum hobby form is about as muddy as you can get.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I can tell you which is 100% pure, noble, and unique: the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus :kiss:

But one day Her missing & loved Brother will be found in a burrow of Africa, just like a Japanese in the jungle: I'm talking about C.stridulantissimus and Roma that day will rise again.

Glory to the Goddess!

awiec

Arachnoprince
maybe, im not familiar with that genus let alone one of its species ive never heard of.
This is actually one of the most documented ones, a guy bought about 12 spiders among the genus from various dealers and then photographed and compared them to type specimens and other genus members; there is a surprisingly large amount of C.marshalli x C.darlingi floating around. Granted this was around 2005 so it might be better since then.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I feel like with genus Pamphobeteus being as undescribed as it is, there are probably a lot of hybrids. Many look very similar, and I wouldn't be surprised if a breeder mixed one for the other. Not sure though, haven't done much research into hybrids...

Zenith

Arachnopeon
Acanthoscurria also has a lot of hybridization. As for Brachypelma; B. smithi/B. auratum/B. baumgarteni mixes are also pretty popular.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Wow, well it would seem only the genus with a single species in the hobby are truly pure. So therefore, to me, it's less important now. As long as I know going into a species then I will be fine.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Wow, well it would seem only the genus with a single species in the hobby are truly pure. So therefore, to me, it's less important now. As long as I know going into a species then I will be fine.
There are some with worse reputations than others. Brachypelma are pretty bad, with no new bloodlines coming in for many species it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of the adults nowadays were partial hybrids.
Certain poecilotheria are commonly mistaken for each other and thus more likely to be hybridized. Grammostola have potential to be bad with all the different "rose hairs" they would be easy to mistake for each other. Avicularia for the same reason. So to narrow it down to realistic scope for you

B. vagans
B. albopilosum
B. boehmei
Anything with rose hair in its common name. (G rosea, G porteri, g sp. "North", "conception", "maul", "orichalcum" ect ect)
Most with "pink toe" in its name, mostly A avicularia and A metalica

As a beginning Kelley these are probably the species you'll most likely encounter.

For vagans take it with a grain of salt, hobby form is the norm now, and nothing is really wrong with them, just keep in mind they are not pure

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Sounds like most domestic animals. Dogs, cattle, chickens the list goes on. All contain the blood of a few other species. The reality of captivity. New species spark great demand but the folks collecting and receiving are not to keen to know what they have and where it came from. The teen from an impoverished nation getting paid a quarter(probably a nickel) per t doesn't care if the one group in the valley is slightly different than those on the other side of the bluff. It's all supper for his family.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
There is confusion between brachypelma emilia and smithi where both look similar except for small differences mostly on the carapace. Even the scientific community disagrees on whether they are the same species or different.

EDIT* There is a lot of confusion on Aphonopelma genus for T's located in the USA.

EDIT2* I meant brachypelma annitha and smithi

Last edited:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
There is confusion between brachypelma emilia and smithi where both look similar except for small differences mostly on the carapace. Even the scientific community disagrees on whether they are the same species or different.

EDIT* There is a lot of confusion on Aphonopelma genus for T's located in the USA.
I think you may be confusing your red legs. B Emelia don't really look anything like smithi

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I think you may be confusing your red legs. B Emelia don't really look anything like smithi
Oops! You are correct. Thank you. I was thinking the right one and wrote the wrong one. brachypelma annitha is similar to smithi - editing my original post.