WHich size for Poecilotheria

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Congrats on the incoming P. Rufilata (Red Slate) & P. Striata (Mysore).
Hopefully You have Researched these Magnificent Old World Tarantulas.
As for Size... It's always good to have an enclosure ready for New Arrivals.
A 1 inch Spider as advertised may be 3/4" to 1 3/4" in my experience.
Expect the Unexpected with Ornamentals.

Last edited:

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
What are the dimensions of each container?

I would say the smallest, but regardless I don't recommend full round cork bark until they reach adult size. Too hard to safely get them out if you need to (rehoused or emergencies)

You want to balance providing shelter with being able to monitor them. They will also build little dirt curtains to shut out the world (at 1" I didn't even provide cork bark, but you'd never guess because they made a bunch of dirt tunnels). Slings are more prone to burrowing for shelter as well. If you do keep the cork bark on the small one, I'd cut it in half so it's not taking up so much space/blocking so much of your view (before your T does it anyway 🤣)

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
for the start you may want to go even smaller, more like half the space of your smallest one, but they will grow quick so its good you have them ready

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
Middle is preferable, but the left is doable if they come a little larger. Pokies are great hunters, even if a bit shy. just make sure they have a place to hide away

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Middle or left if they come 1” or bigger, small if smaller then that. But they grow fast so more space is fine .

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I’m willing to bet you end up using the one on the left.Pokies are so adaptable and grow like weeds,and hunt like few others.
And I so agree,the sellers 1in sling is subjective.

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
I put my 3 inch pokie in it's adult enclosure (8x8x12) and it's doing great. Glad I don't have to rehouse her ever. She's molted once and is BIG and fast now.

I'd say the less rehousing, the better. Just don't clutter up the enclosure and she'll hunt perfectly fine.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
you need to consider that Poecilotheria sp. have exceptionally long legs, so in terms of size 1" dls is acually smaller than the usual terrestrial 1" sling.

as i said, i kept mine much smaller, yes you will need to rehouse soon, i think i rehoused them after each molt as they put on quite a bit of size, but feeding with prekilled prey gets much easier in a smaller enclosure as well, if you need to go that route, so it has pros and cons

if you have appropriately small live feeders there is no need to go with something small