• pederseni

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • other? please specify

Votes: 17 21.3%

• Total voters

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Going with the pack here, regalis. A mature female is truly one of the most beautiful creatures on the planet.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I too agree with the regalis/rufilata choices, regalis got my vote though. The deciding factor was that in my experience regalis produce a relativley high percentage of females, the opposite being the case with rufilata. Poec males mature way too fast...

Bill

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I vote for either metallica, miranda, or rufilata. I'd probably not go with metallica if it's your first pokie however

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
regalis would indeed be a good first choice, but the care for them is not incredibly different at all, so you would most likely be fine with any of them. i voted for ornata because i think they have the best look/price ratio. rufilata is a close second though. i would shy away from the more expensive species until you have had some experience with others. hah or until they are less expensive. :}

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P. ornata or P. pedersen??

i really like both of these pokies. Anyone know the pro's and con's of each? Also, i've noticed that the coloring of Pokies seems to really vary with the pics - i'm sure related to lighting and what not. what color hues to these beautiful Pokies really have in person?? :confused:

julie

P.S. i absolutely love the P. rufilata but i can't afford that one yet!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i haven't had a pederseni adult, but i have an adult rega and ornata.

the ornata is probably the most colorful of the affordable poecs. my female is pretty jaw dropping just post molt

talking about how much color can you see, day to day... this is my regalis

zoom
zoomer

you can see little to none of that awesome purple normally. might be able to see a little more in daylight. flash from a certain angle is what does it. those spooky metallic colors are in part an effect of refraction, so the angle light is hitting them and what not is important

if i remember my lore correctly, pederseni are on the smaller side and are like muted regalis in color. ornata are on the larger and more colorful side.

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Like a lot of other people I'd say either P. regalis or P. rufiliata, both big, beautiful, relatively affordable, and relatively calm. I have one P. regalis now, P. rufiliata is next on my list. That big P. subfusca female sure got my attention though.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My first Pokie was a P. subfusca, so maybe I'm a little biased. I fully intend my second Pokie to be a P. rufilata. My home tends to be cooler all year round, so I think both would do quite well in my home environment.

I think if you have a proper grasp of basic tarantula husbandry, any Pokie would probably be a good starting point, so its up to what you like. But if you're unsure of your capabilities, I too would mirror the sentiments to get something that if something unfortunate did happen you wouldn't be out $150+.

For me, I don't handle any of my tarantulas so temperament doesn't really factor strongly into my choice, although I don't want it eating my hand off when I open the container either. For the few months I've had my Subfusca, its mostly been a hider. It's got its burrow under the bark, and it comes out to eat and drink and that's it. If it so much as sees my shadow, it runs and hides.

AmazingInverts

Arachnopeon
I would go with a P. regalis also. They are a GREAT looking spider and not hard to take care of. I have one and once you go pokie you never go back!

-Will

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Regalis, Ornata, or Rufliata get my votes. I put other because I didnt see ornata there till after I voted. But Ornatas my favorite of the "cheap" pokies. Subfusca, Miranda, Metallica are gorgeous but a little pricey (actually I dont see why Miranda is such a high priced one unless theya re hard to breed).

Also Formosa can be very nice looking as well, but I would still say Ornata is my favorite and close followers are Regalis and Rufliata

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My vote for a first pokie is a regalis or an ornata. Both are lovely and you would enjoy either.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Go for the P. Miranda she's really beutiful, but is expensive, or maybe a P. Regalis she has nice colors too. :D

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
thanks so much for all the help everyone. perfect responses, exactly what i was looking for. totally think i'm gonna go with the rufliata or the regalis like everyone says.:D thanks again, you guys (and gals!) are awesome:clap: :clap:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Personally, I would recommend either the regalis or the miranda--both are relatively calm pokies with stunning appearances.

As beautiful as they are, I'd hold off on the ornata and rufilata, as these are the largest two pokies, and have some of the stiffest bites of the Poecilotheria sp. Ornata is relatively calm, but sizes in at 9," as does the rufilata as well, which is NOT as calm.

P.regalis has the best ventral yellow banded threat display, and some of the starkest contrast of black to white of any Poecilotheria, plus they are inexpensive, reach 7 - 8," and are hardier / more tolerant of temp + humidity variation than most of the other pokies. It's simply the best way to break into the world of pokies.

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Personally, I would recommend either the regalis or the miranda--both are relatively calm pokies with stunning appearances.

As beautiful as they are, I'd hold off on the ornata and rufilata, as these are the largest two pokies, and have some of the stiffest bites of the Poecilotheria sp. Ornata is relatively calm, but sizes in at 9," as does the rufilata as well, which is NOT as calm.

P.regalis has the best ventral yellow banded threat display, and some of the starkest contrast of black to white of any Poecilotheria, plus they are inexpensive, reach 7 - 8," and are hardier / more tolerant of temp + humidity variation than most of the other pokies. It's simply the best way to break into the world of pokies.
ornata relatively calm?I think you are mistaken my friend;)
ornata and fasciata are the most nervous of all pokies.
rufilata is very calm compare to ornata.

Take care!

Alain

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm, just did some research and it seems you're right about ornata. I'd read recently ( can't remember where :? ) that they were among the calmer pokes. Perhaps I misread the post. In any case, my point was that regalis was a better choice than ornata or rufilata, which is still true.