Which one to get

Grim91Z

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Agree 100%:D ...
I have/will never suggest a BP as a first snake to anyone [even though besides a cornsnake ,ball pythons are often suggested as a "good" first choice].
BP's can be a MAJOR pain in the ass to deal with [feeding issues ] and will often force folks to get OUT of the hobby.In my 18yrs keeping various species of snakes , BP's have been the major source of aggravation:wall: :wall: .All snakes are known to take fasts from time to time BUT not like a ball:evil: even the well started CBB specimens from breeders;)
I have to agree about the feeding, mine won't eat rats anymore.:?

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've heard lots of people complain about ball pythons being finicky... my big girl (captive bred) went off eating for three months at one point because she was stressed from moving into a new cage, but other than that, I havent had a problem in her three years. She pounds down frozen rats like you wouldnt believe!

Don't let their famous finickiness deter you too much... each snake is different. And wherever you get it from make sure its captive bred, and has already eaten a few meals, look to see if it's plump, the fatter the better!

I would never get a red tail simply because they get so large and it'll be really expensive to make them a large enough cage as adults, and to feed them large enough prey.

AnthrpicDecadnc

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've heard lots of people complain about ball pythons being finicky... my big girl (captive bred) went off eating for three months at one point because she was stressed from moving into a new cage, but other than that, I havent had a problem in her three years. She pounds down frozen rats like you wouldnt believe!

Don't let their famous finickiness deter you too much... each snake is different. And wherever you get it from make sure its captive bred, and has already eaten a few meals, look to see if it's plump, the fatter the better!

I would never get a red tail simply because they get so large and it'll be really expensive to make them a large enough cage as adults, and to feed them large enough prey.
more line INfamous!

I believe the biggest issue for the snakes is the initial move. i find the box trick works good, as some of them are shy eaters. I think it's a small problem though, the finicky eating. Once you get it to eat, you're usually all set.

I was thinking about getting a red tailed boa.. they're a bit pricy though.. is it worth it?

Grim91Z

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually, if it's a male BCI there's not much to worry about in size. They usually reach 7 feet as adults (rarely do they exceed that) and can be housed in a 4x2 cage. A 5/6 dollar jumboe rat every 2 weeks isn't that expensive, really (people pay that much for single meals these days). I find them to be more fascinating, I plan on building a 5x2x2 cage in the future for mine.

AnthrpicDecadnc

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually, if it's a male BCI there's not much to worry about in size. They usually reach 7 feet as adults (rarely do they exceed that) and can be housed in a 4x2 cage. A 5/6 dollar jumboe rat every 2 weeks isn't that expensive, really (people pay that much for single meals these days). I find them to be more fascinating, I plan on building a 5x2x2 cage in the future for mine.
werd? i might do it.. So a friend of mine and i decided when we split on a house, a room is getting dedicated to animals and another to a retic. can't wait... but hat's not going to be for a fw years, after i get plenty of experience under the belt.