which one to buy/ b. vagans/b. albopilosum/ chaco golden knee

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Without a ventral view its nearly impossible to properly sex a T that size, But on the subject of which one to buy it really comes down to what your looking for. Docility go for the B.ablo, Size go for the chaco, for feeding response the B.vagans.

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Really hard choice here. I own the albo and the vagans and they're both great T's. I've heard a lot about pulchripes and they sound cool. My favorite out of the 3 is the vagans because they're just plain fun. They're feeding response is great, and they're skittish nature makes them seem funny to me. They do flick a good amount of hairs though IME. My albopilosum also has a good feeding response and doesn't flick hairs. She also looks awesome with the curly hair as they get bigger (she's 4"). Good luck choosing! Lol they're all great T's but if I had to choose one it'd be the vagans. They also grow pretty fast compared to the others. Also, you could ask the seller to put them in seperate clear containers to get ventral shots to try to sex them, but it's still not 100%.

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
I would go with the pulchripes, because it has almost as powerful a feeding response as the vagans. With the size and markings they make a great display tarantula too!
Depending on the individual, they can also be fairly docile. So in my opinion, the pulchripes will make the best compromise between the three.

However, you could always just get all three! ;)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that they also almost never hide unless disturbed, making them an even better choice as a display tarantula. :artist:
Mine is always out and about and sitting somewhere waiting for a passing cricket.
They also grow almost as fast as vagans, so you won't have to wait through the aons for a molt like you would with most other Grammostola! :oldman:

Last edited:

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Can you ask if they can be looked at to be sexed? They seem big enough to decide what to paint the nursery.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Can you ask if they can be looked at to be sexed? They seem big enough to decide what to paint the nursery.
Some places will make a guess based on vent sexing but most won't. You don't want to get chancy with what you sale to people. Also the price tends to go up when you know you're selling a female.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Best answer: get all 3! Each of them are great in their own rights.

Pulchripes is just amazing, get huge and beautiful, albo are sweethearts and gotta love those curls, vagans is classically good looking and eats like a monster.

You won't be dissapointed in either :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Docility go for the B.ablo, Size go for the chaco, for feeding response the B.vagans.
This sums it up.

But as has been said, those are all pretty inexpensive spiders. Just get all three or two out of three!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Is it just me, or does that first photo look more like an E. campestratus?