Which new T?

dalejamin

Arachnopeon
I'm still pretty new to the hobby, and as with many out there, welcome any and all advice when purchasing new T's. My question today is, which new T should I go with :?

Three of my six T's are tiny (under 1" each, all slow growers). Now, I'd like something around 1.5" to 2.5" inches that grows fairly fast. I know that's still pretty small, but still. For my slow growers, I have a E. campestratus, a G. aureostriata, and two G. pulchra's. I also have a A. versi and and A. avic.

I really want a A. purpurea, A. geroldi (hey, I like avics), and B. albiceps, but those are harder to come by and more expensive. The two I'm considering most at the moment are the N. cromatus and the P. cambridgei, although the P. irminia is tempting. From what I've seen, they're both pretty affordable. In the meantime, I can save up and be on the lookout for the one's I really want! Opinions, thoughts, suggestions?? Thanks :D

Ben

Last edited:

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a N. chromatus.....it's a fast growing, and very pretty little sling.......and it was very cheap!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have two N. chromatus. A sling and an adult female. They do grow pretty fast, and they are a really attractive T. You could also consider something in the Lasidora genus, they get big and grow fast. L. parahybana is a large, fast, growing, nice looking T, I currently have a difficilis sling, that I swear moults every time I look at it.
Personally though, if you like avics, I'm a huge purpurea fan, I have 3, and have recenlty bred them. In particular my mature male has a lot of personality.
We tend to scoop up crickets in a small deli cup and then drop them into the T's enclousures. I had just opended up the males house and was getting ready to drop in the crix. He was literally right under the door in the top of the KK, and as soon as I opened the door and put the deli cup near it, two black legs came out of the webbing, and started helping themselves to the crickets. He took 2, and then went back inside.

dalejamin

Arachnopeon
The pet store down the street has a couple N. chromatus for $10 each, but they're super tiny (probably less than 1/2"). They also have a 2" cambridgei for $40 or so. However, I just scored a A. purpurea, so it may be a little bit before I get the cambridgei. I can't decide if I want a chamatus that small or not. I'd honestly almost rather pay another $15 or $20 for one a couple inches larger. Thanks for the input, guys!!

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mina hit it on the nose :), and since we're talking some nice large size display Ts we can throw in an Lasiodora,Nhandu, and Acanthoscurria. A A geniculata, L parahybana, L difficilis, etc. Get something good! :clap:

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Another vote for A geniculata. Bigger than the N. Cromatus, and prettier IMO. Though the Lasiodora family are bigger, the colours aren't as striking.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yet another vote for Acanthoscurria geniculata for the reasons already stated; big, beautiful, and visible.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lasiodora parahybana or klugi..
Fast growing, get pretty big and are very attractive spiders. Also very easy to look after and are always eating!

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im suprized i havent seen more love for the P. cambridegi it is definatly one of my favorit T's and they mine grew so fast its rediculous. it went from 2 inches to almost 5 inches in like 7 months

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes, indeed they are very stunnin. I vote for P. cambridegi!!

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love my N. chromatus... I got a 4"+ female for less than $40 so they are affordable... She is also the most aggressive eater I have.. pounces at any sign of critters... She stays visible most of the time and is absolutely gorgeous..