which is best beginner scorpion

eatinmachine

Arachnopeon
(I am not really a beginer just to scorpions I have a tarantula, 2turtles, a tortoise, a very small mice breeding colony a vine snake, bunch of house geckos, a extremely agressive san diego gopher snake, corn snake, ball python, and I believe that is it) I have 4 choices rusty thick tail, desert hairy, flat rock, and red claw. I like the looks of the rusty thick tail the most but the venom of it I hear is pretty harsh. I know I would keep it on half damp and half dry peat moss, And should maybe have a climbingbranch and a hide in the cage. For the desert hairy I hear they have a slightly above mild venom and don't hesitate to use it,wet the sand substrate before I put the scorp in have a water dish in there and a hide. For the flat rock have mild venom but a hard pinch, And have sand a water dish and hide in there cage. The red claw has mild venom and a bad pinch and have similar care to a emperor is that right? Could you help me choose one I really want one.
I don't want an emperor.

Last edited:

guesskatiejules

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The emperor scorpion is usually the "beginner scorpion". Since you have kept venomous creatures before, maybe you could go for a desert hairy.

It depends a lot on what you want in a scorpion. I really wouldn't recommend something very venomous to start out with, but there are less-venomous species that are very active and fun to watch.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I dont really recommend emps as first scorps anymore because the humidity issues are just so much of a hassle to keep correct. I think a desert species is defenatly better and easier to care of as your first scorp. Desert hairy is a great choice.

Kaulback

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Though I haven't owned one, by logic I think Hadogenes spp. would be best. They are easier to care for and have less potent venom than emps (not that emps are very potent). The only issue is really if your pet store sells them. Go by the common name of "Flat Rock Scorpion".

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would say a Desert Hairy would be as good as it gets. However an Emperor isn't a bad choice as long as it is set up right. Flat Rock Scorps are another good choice. You really can't go wrong with any of the 3 mentioned but I would lean towards the Hairy.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I also like the Red Claw. Pandinus Cavimanus. Very beautiful. Very much like da emp.

eatinmachine

Arachnopeon
I am glad for all your help so it seems like it has come down to flat rock and desert hairy. I really want a rusty thick tail but I think that might be after I get a little more experienced. Well none of the pet shops around me carry anything but emps so I go to the reptile show in taylor but we were talking to the guy and the guy was stupid and said if I got stung by a desert hairy or flat rock or any scorpion at that I would have to go to the hospital so I couldn't get it. But I can now prove I am right and can get one. Which one is more active and would a tri color burrowing scorpion be a good choice because I hear they are very active. Could I feed a baby scorpion pieces of a cricket? thanks in advance josh

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
there have been no known records of deaths resulting from a desert hairy sting, so there should be no need to even go to a hospital unless you find out you're allergic.

Kaulback

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, baby cricket pieces would do fine, and when they get a bit bigger small dead crickets, then small alive ones. Not sure about the tri color, somebody else could answer that. Out of the flat rock and desert hairy, not sure which one is more active either, again somebody else'll have to answer that.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The Tri Color will dig a burrow and disappear for weeks at a time (at least mine does).It is an obligate burrower. A Desert Hairy will be more active than a Flat Rock.

Kaulback

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
On the other hand it's sting is more painful and it's venom is more powerful than a flat rock. I guess (to the thread maker) it comes down to if you want a safer, more unique looking one that is less active (Hadogenes genus, "Flat Rock") or a more dangerous but still not really dangerous, less unique looking one that is more active (Hadrurus genus, "Desert Hairy").

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
keep your hands out of the tank, buy some long forceps/tongs, and keep your hands out of the tank and you'll be fine. oh, did i mention, "keep your hands out of the tank"? :D This is not a species you would normally consider handling...and one look at the stinger should only help you realize why ;)

Hadrurus arizonensis' (using scientific because it's too easy to mix up common names...you'll pick them up pretty quick if you continue to read this board) are also burrowers. mine has now dug a burrow that is at least 3.5 feet long, well, would be if it hadn't backfilled and sealed itself in lol. Mine has spent most of it's time burrowing along the edge of the glass so even though it's underground I can usually see it.

Of the three species of scorpions i have I find the H. arizonensis to be my favorite, even when it is underground. The other two are Smeringus mesaensis which are from Arizona also (little smaller than the arizonensis, less bulky...fast as lightning and plenty of attitude), and 5 Babycurus jacksoni's which i believe are the species you are referring to when you say "rusty thick tail"...hence why scientific names are often used here. The B. jacksoni's are very nice looking but mine aren't all that active...prefer to hide just underneath the edge of their piece of "wood" and ambush prey. However, they will ALL stuff themselves in to the same nook...haven't had any problems with aggression yet :)

Go with the H. arizonensis!!! :D you'll get a nice size scorpion who is pretty active and won't back down...just be sure to do the substrate correctly so it can burrow without it collapsing.

MACZ

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brian S said:
I would say a Desert Hairy would be as good as it gets. However an Emperor isn't a bad choice as long as it is set up right. Flat Rock Scorps are another good choice. You really can't go wrong with any of the 3 mentioned but I would lean towards the Hairy.
I second that Brian!

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
yep

and extra text to make it long enough to post :D

eatinmachine

Arachnopeon
I was wondering when the 3rd instar begins I can't find much on it. How long could a baby desert hairy stay in a cage with strong locking lid with dimensions of 8.5 wide, 5 long, 6 high? Thanks josh