Which grows faster?

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does Theraphosa blondi grow faster or does Lasiodora parahybana grow faster? I dont mean who reaches the biggest size first but just in general, which will most most often and gain the most size in each molt?

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my limited experience, the T. blondis seem to grow faster. My L. parahybanas aren't growing nearly as quickly as I'd imagined.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is what I was told by anotehr guy I know who raises both. But through my experience my T blondi rarely molted and my L parahybana is a weed.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My T. blondi is just starting to slow down in its molting now that it's reached about 3 inches. Last year it seemed like it molted every 6 weeks or so.

My L. parahybanas are tiny and, even when they molt, don't gain a whole lot in growth. I'm anxious to see if changing their diets over to mostly beefheart will impact their growth.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
That is what I was told by anotehr guy I know who raises both. But through my experience my T blondi rarely molted and my L parahybana is a weed.
The parahybanas I have molt more frequently...but only put on a little bit of size

My blondi baby more than doubled in size in one single molt!

Both species have yet to refuse a meal... they eating me out of house and home!! (now I know hoe my father felt lol)

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
Does Theraphosa blondi grow faster or does Lasiodora parahybana grow faster? I dont mean who reaches the biggest size first but just in general, which will most most often and gain the most size in each molt?
I will say L.parahybana, T.blondi seems to slow down, like galeogirl said!

James

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have raised several of both from spiderling to maturity. My wife and I also keep detailed records of molts, growth rates etc. My experience has been the same as Chris. L. parahybana seems to molt a little more frequently than T. blondi but T. blondis grow quite a bit more with each molt. My blondis generally have gotten larger faster than my parahybanas.

Last edited:

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I'd vote for T. blondi as faster overall, too. Male parahybanas mature fairly quickly IME, but the females are pretty slow-growing once they hit about 5" or so.

Joy