Which Goliath to get?

Ancistrus

Arachnopeon
Theraphosa blondi or stirmi? Which is more easier to keep? Which is more popular? Etc.

snstrarachnid

Arachnopeon
I say Stirmi. I have several Blondie's, and Stirmi, and prefer Stirmi. Blondie's are harder to get, and more expensive. Blondie's are more hairy, and I prefer the smoother legs of the Stirmi.

Ancistrus

Arachnopeon
I say Stirmi. I have several Blondie's, and Stirmi, and prefer Stirmi. Blondie's are harder to get, and more expensive. Blondie's are more hairy, and I prefer the smoother legs of the Stirmi.
Which one is easier to take care of?

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Absolutely start with the T. stirmi unless you are an experienced keeper and don't mind paying three times as much.

snstrarachnid

Arachnopeon
Which one is easier to take care of?
Also Stirmi is new world, and their first line of defense is to kick hairs, and of all the new world species, Theraphosa has the absolute most horrible, painful hairs of them all, just beware not to get any on you.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have been looking for a CB juvie female for quite some time, not the easiest to find at a reputable dealer.
I'm sorry to hear that :-/

The U.S market needs to be flooded by plenty of available Goddess, so people can rejoyce, for that the Goddess announce only good things :-s

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Stirmi cheaper and easier to care for.

My big stirmi girl is far and away my favorite t, but you need to be careful with them. Most sizable ones are wild caught, which can have parasites and can be in poor health. I learned the hard way a couple weeks ago, having to put my Juvie to sleep because of worms.

If you get one get a smaller captive bred specimen. They will b parasite free and take to captivity much easier than their wild caught counterparts. you should make your own enclosure from a Rubbermaid tub to keep the right humidity. You don't want to drown the spider, but HALF of the dirt should be MOIST. Make sure half is dry though, so she can get off the moisture if she wants and won't get jungle rot or trench foot. Since there will be moist soil in a tub, you will need pill bugs and springtails in there as a cleanup crew to avoid mites and mold. She will eat a lot and roaches probably should be used instead of crickets.

Most of this needs to be done to keep these spiders healthy. If you don't think you want to do all these things then I wouldn't get a Goliath.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Also Stirmi is new world, and their first line of defense is to kick hairs, and of all the new world species, Theraphosa has the absolute most horrible, painful hairs of them all, just beware not to get any on you.
Untrue, not all NW tarantulas have urticating setae. And "the worst" setae will vary from person to person. A Euathlus' setae is far worse than a Theraphosa in my opinion, the Theraphosa just has so much more of it. It's also impossible to never get any setae on you, even routine maintenance will leave you itching from time to time.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
If you get one get a smaller captive bred specimen. They will b parasite free and take to captivity much easier than their wild caught counterparts. you should make your own enclosure from a Rubbermaid tub to keep the right humidity. You don't want to drown the spider, but HALF of the dirt should be MOIST. Make sure half is dry though, so she can get off the moisture if she wants and won't get jungle rot or trench foot. Since there will be moist soil in a tub, you will need pill bugs and springtails in there as a cleanup crew to avoid mites and mold. She will eat a lot and roaches probably should be used instead of crickets.

Most of this needs to be done to keep these spiders healthy. If you don't think you want to do all these things then I wouldn't get a Goliath.
yes, yes, no, no, what?

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is so much bad information posted as "absolutes" by individuals on this site, makes it tough for the new players in the hobby who really want to learn.