which freebie would you recommend?

lemonie

Arachnopeon
Hiya everyone! Ok, so this is my first post and I am a soon to be new T. owner. I've actually been hanging out in the shadows learning all I can and think I'm ready. I will be ordering a L. parahybana 1" sling from swifts because my hubby wants something that will eat everything including the kitchen sink and get very big but we likely won't try to handle...ever!
Now comes the the issue of what freebie to pick. Hubby would also like something he can eventually try to handle and I want something with color that will contrast with the L. para and look good under a blacklight. Anyone help me narrow it down? Here's what is available:

1/4" Bolivian Salmon (A. chacoana)
1/4" Brazilian Black and White (N. coloratovillosus)
1/4" Costa Rican Zebra (A. seemanni)
1/4" Honduran Curlyhair (B. albopilosum)
1/4" Brazilian Red and White (N. chromatus)

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

In my opinion, these would be great for ya. Both can be handable as adults and are beautiful also. Good luck.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
May I ask when this specimen will be under a blacklight?

I think for handleablity, the B. albopilosum would be awesome. They're a blast to feed, and grow at a decent rate.

The chromatus and coloratovillosus would be the coolest for color, but are hair-kicking devils.

-Sean

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
N. chromatus!!

That's the most beautiful T from that list. Don't think it twice, pick it up! :D

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wouldn't mess with holding A. seemani, they are too fast and can show some aggression.

the curly hair is a good choice. you can't go wrong with that. or you could spend a few extra bucks and get a pinktoe or chaco golden knee.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hiya everyone! Ok, so this is my first post and I am a soon to be new T. owner. I've actually been hanging out in the shadows learning all I can and think I'm ready. I will be ordering a L. parahybana 1" sling from swifts because my hubby wants something that will eat everything including the kitchen sink and get very big but we likely won't try to handle...ever!
Now comes the the issue of what freebie to pick. Hubby would also like something he can eventually try to handle and I want something with color that will contrast with the L. para and look good under a blacklight. Anyone help me narrow it down? Here's what is available:

1/4" Bolivian Salmon (A. chacoana)
1/4" Brazilian Black and White (N. coloratovillosus)
1/4" Brazilian Red and White (N. chromatus)

All those freebies are great spiders. However if you want a T that you can handle than go with the B. albopilosum they are gentle.

Now very important, get rid of the black light. They are not good for T’s by any means and bad for human eyes as well.

Welcome to the AB :)

Steph

lemonie

Arachnopeon
May I ask when this specimen will be under a blacklight?
-Sean
Oh, not all the time at all. Only on cold nights and when we want to watch their night activity. I know they shouldn't really need an extra heat sorce depending on the species but I like the way the colors come out with a blacklight. Yah, yah, probably just me being girly. :p

But it sounds like I need to nix that idea. What would be a good light for "night watching"?

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, not all the time at all. Only on cold nights and when we want to watch their night activity. I know they shouldn't really need an extra heat sorce depending on the species but I like the way the colors come out with a blacklight. Yah, yah, probably just me being girly. :p

Get a red light

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

But it sounds like I need to nix that idea. What would be a good light for "night watching"?
I think you're thinking of scorpions, I'm pretty sure black lights don't do anything special with tarantulas. But yeah, it can damage them--even scorpions suffer some sort of damage to their exoskeletons and possible blindness from too much exposure, though we don't know enough about their bodies to say much more on the subject.

Red lights are good, as are lights colored blue. Just as long as it isn't a true blacklight, pumping out all those UV rays, and as long as it doesn't put out much heat. And of course it shouldn't be anywhere that the tarantula can come into direct contact with it.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sometimes I check on mine with those small red, or blue Ion lights you can get for keychains and such. If you really want a night setup...I believe you can get "moon lighting" from most all pet stores. Just appears to be a softglow blue light setup. Not sure if they give off heat or not, but I am sure there are options.

As for the freebie...I would say B. albopilosum if you really want something that goes through good changes during molts, eats like a pig, and is handleable. Mine has a crazy personality, and likes to kick crickets before eating them.

N. chromatus is beautiful as far as coloration goes. Mine however, dug a burrow, hid in it, molted in it, and reminds me alot of an ostrich. He always just has his little butt sticking out...head buried. Will get just as large as the L. parahybana and usually a great display T.

A. seemani's are awesome, and underrated IMO, they dont reach the size of the L. parahybana or N. chromatus, but have definite contrasting markings making it very attractive as well. Mine both show attitude at only 0.5" and I am waiting to see how they turn out in a year or two.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of those freebies...good luck with whatever you choose, and be sure to let us know in the announcements forum with pics!!

Welcome to the addiction.

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Handleability would go to the B. albopilosum hands down.

But for sheer size coupled with decent colors/markings, I would go for the N.coloratovillosus

ahas

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Handleability would go to the B. albopilosum hands down.

But for sheer size coupled with decent colors/markings, I would go for the N.coloratovillosus
I agree. Nhandu Chromatus is beautiful though.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For handeling you can't go wrong with the B albopilosum (have one), i recently ordered from swift, and I took the N chromatus as the freebe, man is he small:) but I can't wait t see some color{D

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For handeling you can't go wrong with the B albopilosum (have one), i recently ordered from swift, and I took the N chromatus as the freebe, man is he small:) but I can't wait t see some color{D
Those are my two favorites on the list. What the B. albopilosum lacks in color it makes up for in style!! It is also very docile. i have a large female N. chromatus and she is gorgeous. She is a great display T - never in her hide and has never burrowed even though she has plenty of substrate. Just a couple nights ago she jumped on my hand when i was changing her water - she made me jump!! i'll be using the tongs from now on just so she doesn't get hurt by my fast movements. i have never tried to handle or and have no plans to - don't think she'd appreciate it in the least!! It doesn't matter which one you pick since you'll likely end up with several before you know it!! ;P

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hubby would also like something he can eventually try to handle and I want something with color that will contrast with the L. para

I'd just make an addition to your order : for an extra $ 25.00 you can get a Antilles Pinktoe (Avicularia versicolor) : Very pretty and handleable. Then take the N Chromatus as the freebie...

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My vote is for N. chromatus. Really, either of the Nhandu's (N) are very pretty, fast growing, voracious eaters, get pretty large and have feisty attitudes without being an outright demon. The chromatus has cooler coloration though and changes dramatically from one moult to the next. mine just hit about 3" and the red is coming out more. There's all this pink coloration and the carapace is lightening up. It'a almost like an albino T or something now.

The b albopilosum is nice too. They aren't as brilliantly colored but are definitely sweeter in disposition without being boring (like g rosea, for example) and they are quirky little guys. mine is 2" and just a little spaz; not aggro, just crazy.

As these other folks have said, any of these t's would be great but those are my suggestions.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
for me its got to be the B/ ALBOPILOSUM not for the colour but the character of them :clap: :clap: {D {D ;) phil

lemonie

Arachnopeon
Well golly, you guys are no help at all. You can't let a newbie just get one...then you have to tempt them with a freebie. ;P And since they're all great and fairly cheap, why don't you just buy the full lot? {D Oh man...guess I'll need to put up some shelves and get the whole collection huh? I'm completely torn but will decide by tomorrow so I can have them shipped first thing next week. Thanx everyone for the info and warm welcome!!!