Which centipede enclosure is better?

Pixels

Arachnopeon
Long question so please bear with me.

So, I got a Vietnamese centipede today and it’s 6-7" long approximately.

It’s currently housed in a glass terrarium that’s 12" high. The substrate is 2" high. I have scraped off the rubber seal on the inside of the tank and left about 3" from the bottom. The lid of the tank is a somewhat hard, stiff metal sliding lid that snaps into place once it has slid in all the way. But I’m not very satisfied with the snap on mechanism because I feel it doesn’t require much strength to snap it open. So I’ve put some tape on it. (Am I being too paranoid?)

Now, I also have a Sterilite tub that’s 15 1/4" in height. It also has 4 locks, two on either side that latch shut. It has a styrofoam lining on the inside of the lid that makes it somewhat air tight. If I use this as an enclosure I will put 2" of substrate as well.

My question is is the glass terrarium safe enough to prevent escapes or should I go with the Sterilite tub?

I really appreciate your answers. Thank you.

Attachments

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Typically centipedes can reach the top of any aquarium as they can grip on the silicone in the corners. So if they have *any* chance to get out of a top they will.

I have had centipedes in the Sterilite bin style you have with no issues. You do need to put small holes in for ventilation, and make sure that the substrate does not remain too wet or that creates other issues.

I vote bin simply because I have that one, and it works well.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I have a lot of those types of sterlite tubs. The only way the pede would be able to escape is if you gave it a way to. Also, use more than 2 inches of substrate.