Where is the bolus? And is my spider well fed?

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
You shouldnt look at it like this...being both fat and thin are a natural part of the process of growth for ts.....after molting, they are thin...they plump over time and can get fat...then molt and the process begins again.

A thin t is generally one that has just molted recently. They will always be most hungry at this time, but as they plump they will require less and less food...fat ts do not require food.
Why? Tarantula's take a long time to get things how they like it. Unless there's a serious outbreak of mold or mites spot cleaning is absolutely fine.
I just feel like it's good for them to change out the soil, I suppose it's not essential, but I imagine theres poop, fluids from feeders by being bitten, etc

basin79

ArachnoGod
I just feel like it's good for them to change out the soil, I suppose it's not essential, but I imagine theres poop, fluids from feeders by being bitten, etc
Nah. It's the exact opposite. It literally turns their world upside-down.

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
Nah. It's the exact opposite. It literally turns their world upside-down.
Well, based on my T's reactions after rehouses, I'd say you're right. But that is anecdotal.

And not saying you're wrong or challenging the point, but Is there a reference discussing that somewhere I've missed. Or could you flesh that idea out?

I'm interested.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Well, based on my T's reactions after rehouses, I'd say you're right. But that is anecdotal.

And not saying you're wrong or challenging the point, but Is there a reference discussing that somewhere I've missed. Or could you flesh that idea out?

I'm interested.
I'm sure there will be. But you only have to look at the work a tarantula put into their enclosure. That's their whole world. They know the the lay of the land by touch. And then suddenly it's all changed. And usually for nothing.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
I'm sure there will be. But you only have to look at the work a tarantula put into their enclosure. That's their whole world. They know the the lay of the land by touch. And then suddenly it's all changed. And usually for nothing.
But is it what's best for them? I feel bad to undo all their hard work, but what is the healthiest?

cold blood

Staff member
But is it what's best for them? I feel bad to undo all their hard work, but what is the healthiest?
Generally, before that final adult enclosure, all housings previous are basically temporary, so when you house an adult, its lot like its being housed with a lifetime of boli laying around.....adults eat bigger prey and leave larger boli, making them easier to find and remove. Ts arent inherently dirty critters, theyre the opposite, often cleaning burrows and depositing the remains in the water dish or a corner, which just make it easier for us to spot clean.

I never change the sub for my adults though...my porteri has the same sub I put in there in 1998...."change your substrate" IMO, at least with spiders, is a marketing ploy to sell more over priced substrate....lol.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
Generally, before that final adult enclosure, all housings previous are basically temporary, so when you house an adult, its lot like its being housed with a lifetime of boli laying around.....adults eat bigger prey and leave larger boli, making them easier to find and remove. Ts arent inherently dirty critters, theyre the opposite, often cleaning burrows and depositing the remains in the water dish or a corner, which just make it easier for us to spot clean.

I never change the sub for my adults though...my porteri has the same sub I put in there in 1998...."change your substrate" IMO, at least with spiders, is a marketing ploy to sell more over priced substrate....lol.
Brillian! I'll practice this in the future