Where did all the rose hairs go??

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Stan had predicted if Chile closed their doors to exports, G. porteri prices would skyrocket. I think that we shouldn't take the commonly available species for granted. I'd love to give a shot at breeding these. I think several hundred CB porteri shouldn't flood the market, but have a bit more than what is currently available. Like a lot of keepers here, they were my first T, and despite being kind of boring, I do have a soft spot for mine.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Stan had predicted if Chile closed their doors to exports, G. porteri prices would skyrocket. I think that we shouldn't take the commonly available species for granted. I'd love to give a shot at breeding these. I think several hundred CB porteri shouldn't flood the market, but have a bit more than what is currently available. Like a lot of keepers here, they were my first T, and despite being kind of boring, I do have a soft spot for mine.
Stan?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So when I got into the hobby originally, G. Rosea/Rose hairs were EVERYWHERE. I had 2 at one point, but they passed away sadly. I was out of the loop for about 10 years since my life was chaotic and now I can't find one anywhere. What happened to make them seemingly less common?? Like I've been looking for months and the only places I can find them are online. I'm hesitant to ship here because my local fedex contracts out the deliveries to my area to some random guy who delivers in his personal car. And the guy has a bad habit of "forgetting" packages in his vehicle for like a week so I'd be worried about something happening to a T if I shipped it here.
Chile got tired of people raping their country.

I wish the USA would smarten the hell up and do something about the mass raping of A chalcodes.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
"Where have all the Rose Hairs Gone? Long Time Passing. Where have all the Rose Hairs Gone? Long Time Ago. Where have all the Rose Hairs Gone? Banned from export every one, when will we ever learn...."

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
There's been a few threads about this lately. Basically, no-one was breeding them as you couldn't even give the slings away, nobody had the patience to raise something that can take the better part of a decade to reach adult size when there was a constant supply of cheap WC juvies/adults to be had. Then Chile summoned prohibition hammer on WC exports and suddenly everyone wants them so they now go for similar prices to pulchra/iheringi (in the UK anyway)

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wish the USA would smarten the hell up and do something about the mass raping of A chalcodes.
I don't understand why I see so many people getting wild caught A. chalcodes, because lately while looking for a rose hair, I've seen a good amount of chalcodes slings for sale. I could be wrong since I've been gone so long, but it hardly looks like there's a shortage of them to justify going all the wild caught adults.

Unless all the slings are just the result of wild caught adults...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't understand why I see so many people getting wild caught A. chalcodes, because lately while looking for a rose hair, I've seen a good amount of chalcodes slings for sale. I could be wrong since I've been gone so long, but it hardly looks like there's a shortage of them to justify going all the wild caught adults.

They get them because they are cheap and the species grows slower than a sloth.

Can get an AF for less than. 50$

Jessica88

Arachnopeon
So when I got into the hobby originally, G. Rosea/Rose hairs were EVERYWHERE. I had 2 at one point, but they passed away sadly. I was out of the loop for about 10 years since my life was chaotic and now I can't find one anywhere. What happened to make them seemingly less common?? Like I've been looking for months and the only places I can find them are online. I'm hesitant to ship here because my local fedex contracts out the deliveries to my area to some random guy who delivers in his personal car. And the guy has a bad habit of "forgetting" packages in his vehicle for like a week so I'd be worried about something happening to a T if I shipped it here.
I know a website they will not ship enless it gets picked up from a FedEx would that help?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince

Some slings are captive bred. Some slings/sacs are found with their Moms by Wild Caught hunters

TarantulaMel

Arachnopeon
Depending on where you're located,I found slings for $39,99 here in Los Angeles. They had about 6-10 G.Rosea slings.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They get them because they are cheap and the species grows slower than a sloth.

Can get an AF for less than. 50$
Isn't that supposed to be part of their appeal though? Them being slow growing / long lived in addition to their appearance? Maybe I have weird priorities with tarantulas but I don't mind slow growing since it means more time to enjoy watching them mature.

Some slings are captive bred. Some slings/sacs are found with their Moms by Wild Caught hunters
That's slightly depressing. Does anyone happen to know if sellers will mark that their slings were wild caught/found and hatched in captivity vs being intentionally paired and captive bred from start to finish?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Isn't that supposed to be part of their appeal though? Them being slow growing / long lived in addition to their appearance?
Appearance/long lifespan? Yes. Slow growing? Nope.

Most people aren't willing to spend the best part of a decade raising one to adult size*, especially not when WC juvies/adults are readily available and cheap.

*I got my bicoloratum as a 0.5cm sling back in August 2019 and it's about 1.5cm now (if that).

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Appearance/long lifespan? Yes. Slow growing? Nope.

Most people aren't willing to spend the best part of a decade raising one to adult size*, especially not when WC juvies/adults are readily available and cheap.

*I got my bicoloratum as a 0.5cm sling back in August 2019 and it's about 1.5cm now (if that).
I like them slow growing. That's why I get Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, and Grammostola.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I like them slow growing. That's why I get Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, and Grammostola.
Yeah, I personally don't have a problem with raising slow growers, I was speaking generally, a lot of peeps just want the instant gratification of a big spider without putting the work in.