Where are the bees?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've been hearing off and on that the bees aren't showing up. I have a bunch of blooming fruit trees in the backyard. I just realized that I haven't seen any bees around the trees, not even one. It is still a little cool but, NO bees? Sounds like there might bee a problem:wall: . Anybody see bees out yet?

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, this is interesting and a bit scary. Think of all the agriculture that depends on bee pollination. I think it is something to be concerned about.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i imagine that the wacky winter the world is having has possibly confused some localities into still being in winter hiding/low ebb mode

p.s. gala, my most excellent brother bought me the R. Shelley Synopsis of North American Centipedes of the Order Scolopendromorpha so we can maybe key out your weird guy more easily now :D

Scarp172

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Perhaps it has to do with this

I just hope th bees recover quickly and we don't take too big of a hit this season.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It is more than likely nothing to worry about in the long run. The populations rise and then crash then rebound. They will again.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It really only affects traveling Beekeepers. If you have feral hives they might have died, if you had a local beekeeper they might have had a loss, Set some sugar water out I'm sure you will find some bee's. I really wouldn't be to worried about it.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
We don't really have many honeybees in force around here anyway, but last week during a warm spell I had a couple of honeybees trying to land on me while I was out cleaning off the flowerbeds from last autumn's leaves and old growth.

I guess one big lavender shirt looks better than no flowers blooming anywhere else. ;)

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I havent seen any bee's yet but I saw a wasp 2 days ago fly out of a bush

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
we have 32 beehives out on fields
beeman said, bad winter
lost 95% of bees
der goes my honey :(

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wait youre hives or some one else's Im starting to think the collapse disorders have something to do with the some genetically engendered plants, that can handle super pesticides, that can kill the bee's faster than they can get home. Not just some pest we don't know about.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nepenthes, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with genetically engineered plants. I believe it is just part of the over all cycle, and that the densely kept colonies are not helping things any. I have to admit the down cycle does not break my heart as it will give many of the native pollinators a chance to recover populations that have been decimated by honey bees. The only down side I see is the eventual bailout (In addition to the honey subsidy already paid) of the bee keepers by the government with our tax dollars.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've heard the "genetically engineered plant" theory too. I take all the theories lightly but kind of interesting to think about. The bee thing is starting to sound like the global warming thing on the radio. "something's wrong!"-----"no there's not!"---"yes there is!"---"no there isn't!" I'm seeing a lot of flies, beetles and wasps around my trees on the blooms but still no honeybees...yet. Man, I saw a big Polyphemus moth a couple of nights ago when I was chasing deer out of the yard. But I lost it. I was hoping a female because I wanted to get more caterpillars.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Aside from the 2 I saw during a warm spell...I haven't seen any since. The only bees I see pollinating my fruit trees are little bitty things: blue, black, or greenish guys.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I finally saw one loner yesterday on one of my pear trees. I'm not seeing as many other bee species either. The winter wasn't that nuts around here. It did stay cold longer than it usually does though. Might be all it is.