When will my Avic be comfortable.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just got an A. Avic a few hours ago and it's still hidden in a spot on the substrate under something. When shall it go arboreal? It is very young.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
My A.avic was close to mature when I got her, and it took her a few weeks to finally start webbing and being arboreal after I rehoused her. Now she webs like crazy and eats well, just took her some time to adjust. Hard to say how long it will take yours, they are all different.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just got an A. Avic a few hours ago and it's still hidden in a spot on the substrate under something. When shall it go arboreal? It is very young.
The settling in period for any tarantula is a variable. If you are checking/ bothering it constantly, that period will most likely be longer; So, give it peace and quiet, time and patience. :)

We have an A. versicolor and an A. purpurea, both bought as small spiderlings. Both were settled with tons of web within a few weeks. Not the exact species you have, but at least they are in the same genus.:)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Some tiny Avics don't really web all that much either, in my experience.

Avic slings are also scavengers, so frequent trips to the ground aren't unheard of... that's how I would feed my sling that would only eat prekilled - by placing the dead prey item on the ground.

Just give him/her a little bit of time :)

Jilly1337

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a very tiny A. metallica. It took her about a week to really settle in and start webbing. It's got a little web hammock off on a leaf I glued to the wall of her enclosure. I've only had her for a little over 2 weeks now and she's eating and webbing like crazy.

EvilElvis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Some tiny Avics don't really web all that much either, in my experience.

Avic slings are also scavengers, so frequent trips to the ground aren't unheard of... that's how I would feed my sling that would only eat prekilled - by placing the dead prey item on the ground.

Just give him/her a little bit of time :)
same here, when my avic slings were too small to tackle crickets I'd feed them cricket legs

Marvin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have an adult female A.Avic and I've had it for about 1½-2 months now. It has the perfect setup and humidity but still it hasn't really started webbing yet. I'm taking it as a sign of that it doesn't need web because it feels safe?

SpiderDane

Arachnopeon
I bought a A. metallica juvenile yesterday. Gave it an 0.8g container(8" high and 6" wide) with some live plants, moist coconut fiber substrate and a cap with water.

The little thing has spun a web around the plants, making a little hammock overnight :)

Last edited:

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think everyones Avic Avic webs but mine! I have 5.5 on its side and a nice plant in the middle with the bigger leaves so she can hang out on, in or around it. She is everywhere in that cage, sides, door, back drop, in the leaves, everywhere and has been for a few months now and not one iota of webbing.

I think she is just goofy! :?

Joe

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Just to add to this. I rehoused my little A.versi sling last night. When I checked this morning it was still in the same place, I just checked now and it has started webbing up around it's plant. They will all vary when they get "comfortable" but as long as it has everything it needs, it will at some point.

jb7741

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All of my avics took several weeks to a month to really start webbing really well.

Sometimes it just takes a little while, no rush.

Enjoy your avic, I love em.