When will it end?

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi another noobie question!

How old do scropians live for?cause im still debating to get one or not.....and any suggestions what would be a good starting species?

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think max was 20 years.. I could be wrong.. if you want a scorpion to touch. You should get a emperor
if you want a scorpion to look at buy not touch get a desert hairy.

emperors do need the whole humidity thing.
Desert hairys only need a water dish and retreat.
Those 12 inch long forceps are lifesavers with aggresive scorps like desert hairys

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Grael,

Some live a lot longer than others. The life-span of your average scorpion from the Buthid family is a couple years ... max on some species is around five. Some other families can be quite long-lived. Emps can easily live 8 years or so, more with a bit of luck and good care. All the records, I believe, fall in the Ischnuridae family (someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this) and are in the 20-year range.

Cheers,
Dave

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
cool thanks for repliers ill ask my local dealer about a emperor scropian :D

if i get ill be sure to post some pics

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dave, you are correct. Ischnuridae is said to live nearing 20 and very slightly above, lifespans. I have, in the past, found one site having claimed to have documentation of the Chinese Armortail having lived some 23 years in captivity (max ever stated of scorpions lifespans), but I don't know how well I trust the site's information (I also had to have a friend translate it for me because it was written in Chinese). It was said to have been kept in as close to completely real conditions it's entire life as was possible.

Grael,
Hadrurus scorpions would probably be the best bet if you are in a medium humidity environment. They are a quite a bit more hardy. If you can get them. If I recall, you are in Wales, so they may be difficult to aquire there. They also have lifespans nearing the 20 year mark, if purchased very young.

adios,
edw. =D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I believe "Scorpion Biology" by G.A. Polis has one species listed at 25 years. If I remember correctly it is a Hadogenes, but it has been a while since I read that book.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow, that's an even more impressive livespan. I hadn't heard of one reaching the 25 year mark yet. I may just have to see if I can locate that book you speak of to see what all other infomative stuff I can get my hands on for reference materials.

adios,
edw. :D

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any ideas as to the lifespan of the heterometrus sp.?

Specificaly Heterometrus swammerdami.

Thanks

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Most records show Heterometrus living anywhere from 5-8 years. I have known mine to reach around 6-7 though. Specifics of H. swammerdami are unknown by myself.

adios,
edw. :?