when to rehouse T. blondi

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i am keeping a 2.5-3'' blondi in a 5 gallon tank.

is it better to rehouse it into a larger tank now that can accomodate its potential?

could a smaller space hamper growth like?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i am keeping a 2.5-3'' blondi in a 5 gallon tank.

is it better to rehouse it into a larger tank now that can accomodate its potential?

could a smaller space hamper growth like?
I think when it comes to Tarantulas the with of the tank is suppose to be about 3 times the leg span enough so that the Tarantula can stretch out without issue..

if your Blondi can stretch out all the way without issue in the 5 gallon tank then wait until the next molt...if its feet touch the walls or gets really close to it when it stretches it out I'd say move up to a ten maybe even in a 20 to save some money so you dont have to keep buying tank after tank.

Kagekumo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep my 2.5" G. aureostriata in a 10 gal tank. Of course I only have 3 T's. I like to do it early on so I dont have to keep rehousing them as they grow. I think its up to personal preference

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
a blondi could reach maturity in a 5 gallon as long as you aren't completely stupid with cage design

tarantulas are quite adept at molting in smallish spaces. in nature, these are called "burrows"

hehehe

i've had taras molt while being shipped to me and they were fine. scorps do seem to need a lot more room but not taras

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
5 gallons for that size is more than sufficient. T's aren't like fish whose growth is influenced by the size of the container they are kept in. They'll keep growing until they outgrow their homes.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I see no reason why you wouldn't know when to re-house. It's pretty much common sense.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
T's aren't like fish whose growth is influenced by the size of the container they are kept in.
As far as I know, this isn't true at all.

From the internet:

"Many years ago, before the underlying concepts of waste management in closed systems and how they affect growth rates in fish were understood, people who kept aquaria didn't really understand the need for performing water changes. They also noticed that fish tended to stop growing at an earlier age in smaller tanks, than they did in larger tanks. This lead to the erroneous assumption that the physical size (dimensions) of the tank determined the physical size of the fish. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Here's why:

All animals will reach the size they grow to as a function of their genetic potential and their ability to take advantage of that potential. To illustrate, let's look at people - even siblings grow up to be different heights because the genes that determine growth rate and final size are different for everyone. As long as one receives proper nutrition and exercise, and is kept in good health, one will reach the maximum height that one's genes will allow for. Raising a child in a bathroom, will not turn them into a midget, as long as they get proper diet and perform calisthenics/exercise, have access to good fresh air and water to breathe and drink, (though they may go mental from boredom ;p ), and aren't subject to re-breathing their own CO2, or re-consuming their own waste. Also to illustrate, if you try to keep an elephant in a 6'x6' cube from birth, it will not become a cube shaped elephant measuring 6'x6' as an adult. You will end up with a busted cube. ;p"

Just had to nitpick. {D