When to feed recently molted A. genicolata?

kgeyer1985

Arachnopeon
I just picked up an a. genic four days ago and was told it just molted that morning. i waited until the fangs tured black and tried to feed her a criket. She wouldnt even think about it, it even ran into her a few times and she just flinched, turned, and walked away. She went into hiding and I have not seen her since (about 18 hours). I would not be worried but it is my first T and I hear so much about their appetite that it frustrates me. Also, how long does it take for a T to get settled into a new 20 gallon enclosure.

P.S. It is about 2 1/2 - 3 inches. Looks healthy but never really shows herself much at all. When I peek inside her hideaway with a flashlight 25% of the time she is facing away (Into the dirt vs. out of the hiding spot)

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Everything sounds fine to me. Just offer her a cricket 2-3x a week and if she doesn't take it then shes just not hungry.

rockrox1

Arachnosquire
My geniculata just molted a week ago or so. Just toss in a few roach but remove them the next day if it doesn't eat them. Maybe its just getting use to its surrounding... Am i reading this right??? a 20 gallon container for a 3" geniculata? that's a lot of space. you should put it in a smaller container where it won't get any difficulty catching a roach if it gets hungry. anyway, geniculatas are really good eater...

kgeyer1985

Arachnopeon
thanks for the answers. 20 a bit big huh? Was planning ahead for the ultimate size of 8"+. I have a 10 gallon as well, should I transfer her into that one and introduce her to a new environment once again, or should I stick with my poor choice of the 20?
How about her facing into her retreat instead of the out, is that normal? It is odd to me to see her abdomen instead of her pedipalps and eyes!

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
20 gal is fine, but definetly bigger than you need right now. When she's full grown it will be perfect, but at 3" the 10 gal would probably be easier for you to manage. You don't have to tranfer her, she will be just fine in the 20, but I probably would anyways until she gets a few more molts in.
As far as her facing into the hide, thats all good. Alot of my T's do that too. All T's have their own little quirks & its nothing to worry about.

kgeyer1985

Arachnopeon
You took a load off my shoulders, now I can sleep! I'm sure I'm overworried. Will learn over time. Thank you.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
No problem :D
You're just concerned about your T and trying to learn more- aint nothing wrong with that. I'd rather see people ask questions instead of just guessing & potentially harming their pets.
Good luck & enjoy your little girl. If you have any more questions, dont hesitate to ask.
Peeeeace.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
A serious concern with large enclosures is the height, particularly for terrestrial tarantulas like yours. A fall from a great height can injure or kill these guys, especially with the huge abdomens they get.
Did you make sure to keep the substrate high enough that it's roughly 1.5x the spiders size away from the top? If you didn't, do you realize how much substrate you'd need for a 20 or even 10 gallon?

Find something smaller. It needn't be expensive or fancy if you don't want it to be. A plastic dollar store Tupperware container with a secure lid would do. Suggested sizes would be 3 spiderlengths long by 2 wide, though these are flexible, just as long as it's safe. Keep those other enclosures for when she grows, or get other, larger spiders for them.

As for feeding after molting, the rule of thumb is to wait a week or two before offering food. Remove any food that's uneaten after a day or two, they'll only be an annoyance for your spider.

kgeyer1985

Arachnopeon
I did make sure that there is enough substrate in the tank, and it is alot! I
tried feeding again this morning and she took three crickets, I think the tank is just too big for her to see the other two crickets I put in there. The crickets are hiding, I will remove them if she has not gotten them by nightfall. Thank you all for the help.