When should I be concerned?

tygar

Arachnopeon
I have several tarantulas now, but I'm still pretty new to T's. Please be kind.
At the end of February, I bought my first T. Of course, it was a juvie T. albopilosus.
I bought an 8x8 exoterra with it, and set it up with coconut fiber and moss. That night, it immediately started to dig out behind its cork bark, and I realized it would probably prefer a little more, and a different mixture of substrate. I bought it a 12x8 acrylic enclosure and set it up with a mixture of Reptisoil, cocofiber, and some spaghmum moss, with cork bark, a water dish, and the fake plant that came from the exoterra. Immediately, it began to dig.
It did eat several blue bottle spikes and one or two small dubia while digging.
Well, the little turd has carved out a space behind the cork bark, and sealed itself in there - and has been in there for almost two MONTHS now. I can see it, at all times. Hanging out there - head up, head down, head sideways, head in the dirt... but it never comes up! I have opened the top twice, since it went in, to throw in a crushed headed dubia. I know it ate one. I think it ate the other. I keep the water dish full, and overflow it a little every couple of weeks. It doesn't look dark or shiny or any of the things I'm "looking for" for signs of molting. Do I just leave it alone? Do I try to feed it?
Pics from today, with the enclosure - and one of it digging back in February.
It's a boy, right?
Thank you!!!! 20240501_164157.jpg 20240501_164150.jpg VideoCapture_20240227-171257.jpg

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
IMO it looks pretty chunky, Probably in premolt. Can put a prekilled prey item in there near the top and see if it eats, but remove it next day if not. It most certainly is not starving to death, so that is good! Probably best to wait it out. I never see my T.albo. Always in his burrow.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I have several tarantulas now, but I'm still pretty new to T's. Please be kind.
At the end of February, I bought my first T. Of course, it was a juvie T. albopilosus.
I bought an 8x8 exoterra with it, and set it up with coconut fiber and moss. That night, it immediately started to dig out behind its cork bark, and I realized it would probably prefer a little more, and a different mixture of substrate. I bought it a 12x8 acrylic enclosure and set it up with a mixture of Reptisoil, cocofiber, and some spaghmum moss, with cork bark, a water dish, and the fake plant that came from the exoterra. Immediately, it began to dig.
It did eat several blue bottle spikes and one or two small dubia while digging.
Well, the little turd has carved out a space behind the cork bark, and sealed itself in there - and has been in there for almost two MONTHS now. I can see it, at all times. Hanging out there - head up, head down, head sideways, head in the dirt... but it never comes up! I have opened the top twice, since it went in, to throw in a crushed headed dubia. I know it ate one. I think it ate the other. I keep the water dish full, and overflow it a little every couple of weeks. It doesn't look dark or shiny or any of the things I'm "looking for" for signs of molting. Do I just leave it alone? Do I try to feed it?
Pics from today, with the enclosure - and one of it digging back in February.
It's a boy, right?
Thank you!!!! View attachment 472267 View attachment 472268 View attachment 472269
Perfectly normal behavior unlike the one I got last year that could not digest it’s food 🥲, now I’m down to 2. One old one and one sling.