When feeding with roaches...

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
...do you always wait until they have just moulted before feeding, or can you feed them to your t at any point?

Does it perhaps depend on the variety of roach?

Thanks!:?

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
...do you always wait until they have just moulted before feeding, or can you feed them to your t at any point?

Does it perhaps depend on the variety of roach?

Thanks!:?
i feed roaches and crix both all the time. when my roaches begin to produce enough nymphs i will feed them solely except to the 2 spiders that wont eat them lol
not sure what a molt has to do with it. just dont feed too soon after a molt.
You may be confusing people saying to wait a week or so after a molt to feed, they dont mean not to feed a roach before a molt , just that after a T molts it cant eat till everything hardens up

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think pinkfoot is refering to the roaches molting, not the tarantula. Unless you are using a thicker skinned roach as a feeder, like hissers, no need to pick out the white ones.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Aha, thanks, Gesticulator - BTW any special technique for feeding?...or just pop 'em in and watch the fun?! {D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i feed hissers, lobsters, orangeheads, discoids, lateralis, and dubia

i don't make sure the roaches have just molted. i head crush most everything, ESPECIALLY larger hissers and orangeheads as they have pretty respectable defensive spines on their legs

as far as feeding out i just leave a roach body (dead, mangled and living, or intact and living) on the ground for terr/burr and try to stick the body in arboreals' webs

one thing to watch out for: gravid glasswalkers. if the spider/whatever doesn't eat them fairly quickly they will make the babies in a likely non-secure container. also, i have taken to trying to feed what i think are adult female lobster roaches only to bigger tarantulas.... things that eat them without wrapping them up can start at the head and somehow let the babies that are *almost* ready to "birth" out. heh.