When doing you remove millipede food

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Hey guys just curious on what everyones opinion is on when to remove food from or if you remove food from a millipede colony

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Decaying wood and leaf litter never get removed, but I'll remove fruits or veggies when they start to get moldy.

kjgalaxy

Arachnosquire
Moldy or slimy, yes. Typically 2 to 4 days. I usually clean out old food and put in fresh food every Wednesday and Sunday.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
The reason I ask is I tend to leave things in unless mold goes crazy IMG_20170311_211205756.jpg like this pear I'll leave in intelligence it's almost gone

Calopteryx

Arachnopeon
I never remove fruit or veggies, even when they get slimy the pedes still eat them and the rest gets taken care of by isopods etc.
In the beginning I had problems with food molding after just one day, but ever since I put in isopods and springtails I dont' get mold anywhere.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I rolled it over and there were four or five pedlings feeding one the bottom side so I rolled it back and let them have at it when most of the pear is gone I'll remove the parts they don't eat o and I have some small earthworms red wiggler's that injoy it aswell

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I try to only feed what they will eat in a day. Sometimes it's just a little sliver and other enclosures get large slices. Depends on who and how many live in each enclosure. They always have leaves and wood and I give them dried mushrooms if I am going out of town.

I feed fresh food 3-4 times a week. When I take it out, I have to sort through the mold to make sure I am not tossing any pedelings. :anxious:

I have large colonies of springtails in every enclosure, but I still get mold if fresh food is left in the enclosure. What gives?

Jerry

Arachnobaron
The springtails don't so much completely prevent it as keep it in check without them I believe it would spread threw out the enclosure

mickiem

Arachnoprince
The springtails don't so much completely prevent it as keep it in check without them I believe it would spread threw out the enclosure
I have so many of them! I think there are enough that they may be creating stress for the pedes. I am going to work on lowering their numbers. They are in every enclosure. I have about 20 different enclosures and I have isopods only in two - and oddly I have never had offspring in those two. They are dwarf whites. So now I have decided to keep those separately. Trying to get the hang of keeping millipedes was a piece of cake compared to this sub fauna world...