when does a spiderling become a juvenille?

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was just wondering at roughly what size do you stop calling them spiderings and start calling them juvenilles?

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It's up to the individual, since there's no scientific basis for it. You'll find some arachnologists or hobbyists cringe at such language, actually, and feel it's only proper to refer to spiders that haven't reached maturity yet as 'immature'.

I myself tend to call large immature spiders 'subadults' and very young/small ones 'spiderlings'. In between somewhere is 'juvenile' I suppose. It's a relative thing. ;)

bill

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you. I wasn't sure if it was a kind of convention, or if it was just force of habit :) As a zoologist, it's nice to know these things so I can be all anal and correct about it. :D

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A spiderling becomes a juvenile when the water bottle cap is replaced by a real water dish. In my arachnocultures that happens between 2"-3". I agree its not a science, but if you become one with your spider you will just know, grasshopper :D

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
so nova is just over 2 inchs so is she a juv?

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Grael
so nova is just over 2 inchs so is she a juv?
Grael, Close your eyes, feel the force...only you have the power to know if nova is now a juv... let the force guide you.;)

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Professor T
Grael, Close your eyes, feel the force...only you have the power to know if nova is now a juv... let the force guide you.;)
:eek: i cant....theres something wrong.....the dark side....its its its calling me....its taken her! NOOOO!!! NOVA!!!

shes not a juv.......shes just a....a......a B****!!!!! ;P

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Welcome young Skywalker. I have been expecting you. You no longer need those. I'm looking forward to completing your training. In time, you will call me "Master."

You're gravely mistaken. You won't turn me like you did my father.

Oh no, my young apprentice. It is you who are mistaken about a great many things.

His light saber.

Oh yes. A jedi's weapon. By now you must know your father could never be turned from the dark side. So will it be in you.

You're wrong. Soon, I'll be dead. And you with me.

Perhaps you were refering to the imminant attack of your rebel fleet. Yes, I assure you. We are quite safe from your friends here.

Your overconfidence is your weakness.

Your faith in your friends is yours.

It is pointless to resist, my son.

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
T Wars

May the force of fangs be with you...........:}

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
To steer this slightly back on topic ;)

As Bill said, there's no hard and fast rule. My slings become juveniles when they lose the "baby" features (e.g. the bald abdomen with just a patch, largely hairless legs, etc.) and become mini-tarantulas, and sub adults when they're about half grown or so and have full adult coloration (weird species like A. versicolor and C. cyanopubescens excepted).

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Monkey Rap

"They are anything you say they are,
If they weren't, why would you say they are?"

"I know YOU know when your slings are juvies,
You leave them home alone when you go to the movies."

"You probably held you breath on their last shed,
They looked so still you thought they were dead."

"When your slings lose their baby features,
You're ready to call them juvie creatures."

T Shady :cool:

Word ta ya moda

Originally posted by Code Monkey

As Bill said, there's no hard and fast rule. My slings become juveniles when they lose the "baby" features (e.g. the bald abdomen with just a patch, largely hairless legs, etc.) and become mini-tarantulas, and sub adults when they're about half grown or so and have full adult coloration (weird species like A. versicolor and C. cyanopubescens excepted).

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Hey, it was turning into an interesting thread suitable for the watering hole.

Oh, and my A. versicolor is fully haired, yet is is only 1/2" if even that. So I have a hard time calling it a juvenile. In my book, it is still a sling. Well, I guess it doesn't have its adult coloration yet. So maybe that is the difference. BTW. at what size do versicolors usually have their adult coloration?

Jon

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think the versi's are excluded from this because mine is a little hairy flea, yet he was 1.5cm long when I got him! No way is he a juvenile yet :D

Thank you Code Monkey, your method makes sense!