When do you 'move' your slings/juve's.

Bread

Arachnopeon
My little B.Albopilosum I have had from a sub 1cm sling is now an inch and until now has burrowed and hidden down there.
The last week or two or so he has been up constantly on the surface even when distrubed, he has also filled in his burrow entrance, he's acting more like a B.smithi.

I'm considering moving him from his deli tub into a container with less substrate but a hide.

thoughts?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My little B.Albopilosum I have had from a sub 1cm sling is now an inch and until now has burrowed and hidden down there.
The last week or two or so he has been up constantly on the surface even when distrubed, he has also filled in his burrow entrance, he's acting more like a B.smithi.

I'm considering moving him from his deli tub into a container with less substrate but a hide.

thoughts?
1. If your T has filled in its burrow entrance with it inside the burrow, classic indicator the T is getting ready to molt, at a minimum doesn't seek to be disturbed.
2. I don't see what the "problem" is w/the behavior you described.

Trenor

Arachnoprince

thoughts?
I normally give all of my terrestrial slings enough substrate so they can burrow if they choose. I include a hide (usually in the form of a large fake leaf) in there as well. Sometimes they will work and then rework their enclosure as they try to decide on where they want the couch. :D

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I tend to move mine when their DLS is @ 1/2-3/4 the length of current enclosure size.
Where you describing body length or leg span, I know most of Europe goes by body length. If its a 1" body length which is @ 2" DLS then I typically put it in an enclosure that is 4"x4" or slightly bigger. even if you restrict the substrate depth it will still need a hide to feel safe.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
This was something I threw together to illustrate the different enclosures that I use for spiderlings. The size of the tarantula inside is what is written on the post-it on the outside. It is a guideline only and sizes don't have to be exact for each container. Ruler behind to help to illustrate scale.
From left to right.
.25" Euathlus sp Red - No hide or water dish (trickle water down side every couple of days, but I do not mist)
1" L. difficilis - small piece of cork bark and no water dish (trickle water down side every couple of days, but I do not mist)
1.5" E. campestratus - hide and water dish
2.5"-3" B. verdezi - hide and water dish
_DSC7779-2.jpg

Bread

Arachnopeon
1. If your T has filled in its burrow entrance with it inside the burrow, classic indicator the T is getting ready to molt, at a minimum doesn't seek to be disturbed.
2. I don't see what the "problem" is w/the behavior you described.
There is no problem. Hes filled the burrow in with him outside on the surface.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is no problem. Hes filled the burrow in with him outside on the surface.
So, then why do you want to move the T? To me at least it's not clear why you posted based on the info you provided so far. :confused:o_O

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This was something I threw together to illustrate the different enclosures that I use for spiderlings. The size of the tarantula inside is what is written on the post-it on the outside. It is a guideline only and sizes don't have to be exact for each container. Ruler behind to help to illustrate scale.
From left to right.
.25" Euathlus sp Red - No hide or water dish (trickle water down side every couple of days, but I do not mist)
1" L. difficilis - small piece of cork bark and no water dish (trickle water down side every couple of days, but I do not mist)
1.5" E. campestratus - hide and water dish
2.5"-3" B. verdezi - hide and water dish
View attachment 218140
I never get sick of seeing that picture :D

Back to the question at hand - everything sounds dandy to me. Slings seem to use the burrows they create long into the juvie stage if left in the same enclosure. If they are moved even as a large sling, they'll likely not remake the burrow and opt for a traditional hide instead. Remember, these are largely opportunistic creatures. They'll take what you give them.

Last edited:

Bread

Arachnopeon
So, then why do you want to move the T? To me at least it's not clear why you posted based on the info you provided so far. :confused:o_O
well from my research when these guys get older they become surface dwelling rather than spending there time underground.
I was curious to know as to when this normally occurs from people with experience.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well from my research when these guys get older they become surface dwelling rather than spending there time underground.
I was curious to know as to when this normally occurs from people with experience.
I own an AF albo and its relatives. I've never observed a shift in their behavior. Also mine are all females too. Personally I would give your T enough sub to burrow should it decide to do so, and provide a hide.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I can't speak for this specific species, but I own quite a few of its relatives. I've never observed a shift in their behavior. Also mine are all females too. Personally I would give your T enough sub to burrow should it decide to do so, and provide a hide.
You've never owned an albo?! Mate, you have to get one. They might take the spot of most docile T in your home ;)

But the OP is right, this species will often never burrow even as slings. If they do, though, they'll stay in the burrow for quite some time.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You've never owned an albo?! Mate, you have to get one. They might take the spot of most docile T in your home ;)

But the OP is right, this species will often never burrow even as slings. If they do, though, they'll stay in the burrow for quite some time.
Sorry too many things at once. I own an AF albo.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Mine loves to burrow and she doesn't come out unless you offer a food item as payment for her time.

I did get a good shot of her last night very hungry after her last molt.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Mine loves to burrow and she doesn't come out unless you offer a food item as payment for her time.

That was my first real laugh of the day! That's hilarious, all covered in dirt along with your comment about payment :rofl:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
That was my first real laugh of the day! That's hilarious, all covered in dirt along with your comment about payment :rofl:
Hey, she was working hard on her burrow when I tossed in that roach. You can't expect anyone to work if they don't get paid. :D

She molted a few weeks ago and I just recently got the molt out to know it was a female. She took down the main burrow block yesterday and was apparently hungry. It was by far the biggest food strike she has ever made. Sometimes she'll pick up the roach and carry it back inside the burrow but she sat there the whole time eating.

cold blood

Staff member
Yours isn't getting older quite yet;)

Best pic of an albo I think I've ever seen, spectacular.

Op, upgrade the enclosure when it out grows its current one...simple. What a t does with its burrow isn't indicative that its out grown its space.