When did you stop naming your tarantulas?

When did you stop naming your Ts?

• After I hit 10 Ts

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • After 20+ Ts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never named them

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • I never stopped naming them

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • I name random Ts as the names come to me, some are named and some aren't

Votes: 38 33.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters

Bexsling

Arachnopeon
My very first T (lasiodora klugi) was called incy from the nursery rhyme.
Nhandu chramtus is Venom
LP jeezus Christ
LP arogog
LP Oh-God
Brachypelma Emilia- Spider-Man (spider gender neutral lol don’t know sex yet)
Nhandu trepepii- Nightmare
Green bottle blue- blue beastie
Trinidad olive- olive Webster
Now I own a little dwarf scorpion called ninja :)

Moebius

Arachnopeon
As something clicks, they get a name. It gets tedious just using numbers, but I don't like tossing down a name arbitrarily. We still have over a hundred in the collection though, so there's plenty to still name when the shoe fits. Some are:

Nhandu tripepii- Fizzgig Dark Crystal reference, you'll know it if you remember the ball of fluff and teeth. By the time she's mature and ready for a mate, I already have the name "Samsquatch" from Trailer Park Boys picked out for the next N. tripepii whatever the sex.
Thrixopelma ockerti female- Rose Bud for obvious reasons, especially when facing downwards.
Brachypelma cf. vagans -The Beast- Big appetite, grew fast, and she doesn't play nice most days, though looks impressive. Not fast, but puts up with nothing from bipeds and actively seems to stalk ya at times, hence the name.
Homoeomma chilensis- Mouse, temperament, "...as harmless as a mouse". Plus that dark grey/black setae. She's a mature gal and lives up to the species reputation.
Psalmopoeus irminia- Helios. Sun-tiger mature male and all that, really getting up there in age since bulbing out.
Quite a few are named after various deities, especially the various Poecies. The mature female P. metallica is Tarini.
Psalmopoeus gigas mature female- (souless) Ginger, beady dark eyes, lovely orange/red coloration and all that.
Grammostola rosea- Miss Piggy. Juvie female. Eating machine that's been growing at a good rate. Epic fast anytime now.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Personally exept for 2 or 3, i have never felt the need of naming any tarantulas! Absolutly no wrong in naming them, but naming pets are for me more relevant in pets you handle and are talking to, like cats or dogs! I have named a couple though. My G porteri i have named "Rosie" and a particulaur defenssive P cancerides i had i named "Hin håle" Swedish for Satan! And a B albo i named Bjöne, cos he looked like a bear!

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
My first two albo slings still have names. Barbara and Osgiliath (yes, my username is a misspelling of one of those :D) my a. metallica doesn’t have a name....b hamorri doesn’t really have a name but my bf calls her Ziggy. T stirmi is Big Scary — I don’t care about names much but if they end up with one somehow....

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
We named our very first one, and started naming only some of them when we got our second order of slings. We got 7 at once and named a few but just never figured out names for the rest. I do like the idea of a "theme" for a certain genus, for example, we're naming all of our Poecilotherias after female murderers/villains/etc. However we have 4 Pokies and so far I've only figured out names for two of them.

We have 11 tarantulas now and most of them don't have names. Once I realized we wouldn't be naming them all ourselves, I let the neighbor's nephew come over and pick one to name. Thus, our Neoholothele incei "gold" was dubbed Superhero by a 5 year old. He's excited and more interested in spiders now, and we have a name for one of the many nameless spiders in our collection. Win-win.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have about ten females I’ve had for 5+ years and they all have names, a lot of newer ones I never name.

Funnily enough I have a porteri that has been named four times.

Morgoth - When purchased
Morgana - When I discovered she’s female
Turbo - Gave her to my mums class as a classroom pet and they named her Turbo
Rosie - They renamed her
Morgana - My mum swapped to a B smithi for the class and I got Morgana back and restored her name

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
Mine are named, but I don't have very many yet. Itsy Bitsy, (LP), Camilla (Feathered baboon), Blair (G Porteri, I think, maybe Rosea I dunno.), Sienna (King Baboon) and Katniss (Togo Starburst) Still new to the T world, still learning.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I have my breeding pair of P.Rubisetas, Cornifer and Iselda, as well as an S.C.Robustus named Flinger because well... she flings things with her front feet. There's also Doomsday and Deathbringer my 2 Atrax Robustus that's all out nearly 80 inverts

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
I still have some of my old Ts with their name labels but aside from that its been pointless naming them. I would run out of ideas of names and honestly i would never use the names anyways.

Lib

Arachnopeon
I have more than 10 Ts and they all got names

B Boehmei: Popolon (maze of galious, NES)
P Metallica: Subutai (Genghis Khan's most decorated general)
Balfouri: Golobulus (GI Joe)
P Auratus: Dopinder (Deadpool)
green bottle blue: Chernobyl (nuke plant)
N Chromatus: Pirogi 5 (european bread + only 5 legs)
C versicolor: Tantive (Star Wars spacecraft commanded by Capt Antilles -antilles pinktoe reference)
T Gigas: Paptimus (Mobile suit Z gundam)
Maculata: Imhotep (the mummy, the mummy returns)
B Emilia: Popolon Jr (because 2nd Brachypelma)
Hainanum: Scrutums (body part)
A seemani: Torquemada (R.I.P.) (Domincan priest, master torturer)

and an emperor scorpion named Higuita (football fans will know the reference)

After reading this, my wife someday will fight for the rights in naming our kids

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When I first got into the hobby I would only tend to name Ts that have unique personalities when compared to the others. But now that I have kids... they all get names. Ha!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So...when did you stop naming yours?
I have 17 tarantulas. I haven't stopped naming them, but they don't all have names yet, as I'm still waiting for some of their names to come to me.

RevS

Arachnopeon
New to the hobby.
So far I haven't started naming my T's as I don't know if they are male or female.

For now they're T001 and T002.

I'll can be really creative with names so I don't think I'll run out of ideas sooner than in hundreds.