When and why did crickets become the go to feeder insects?

CladeArthropoda

Arachnoknight
Now, this is something I've been wondering for a while now. Cockroaches are better feeders than crickets in almost every way. They are less predatory, easier to control, less likely to escape, just as easy to feed, easier to breed (crickets have ovipositors and require soil to lay eggs in, cockroaches don't). So why did crickets and not cockroaches became the go to?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
One reason would be crickets aren't anywhere near as restricted as roaches and aren't associated with as many diseases,

CladeArthropoda

Arachnoknight
One reason would be crickets aren't anywhere near as restricted as roaches and aren't associated with as many diseases,
What do you mean by restricted? Also, cockroaches aren't really any more inheritable capable of spreading disease than any other insect.

The Snark

Old Timer
Transportation of roaches is pretty much banned around the world. Of course a knee jerk political action there. But, and feel free to fill me in here, for every cricket related disease I read about a dozen or so roach related ones. Roaches commonly using sewers and drainage pipes being the common denominator while crickets are predominantly detritus hunters (in the wild of course).

BTW, these vectors are the subject of a constant ongoing discussion in tropical disease forums.

CladeArthropoda

Arachnoknight
Transportation of roaches is pretty much banned around the world. Of course a knee jerk political action there. But, and feel free to fill me in here, for every cricket related disease I read about a dozen or so roach related ones. Roaches commonly using sewers and drainage pipes being the common denominator while crickets are predominantly detritus hunters (in the wild of course).
That has more to do with cockroaches being more adaptable to live in more environments than crickets. It has nothing to do with cockroaches being inherently more dirty.

The Snark

Old Timer
That has more to do with cockroaches being more adaptable to live in more environments than crickets. It has nothing to do with cockroaches being inherently more dirty.
Well, environment is a major factor in numerous diseases in various ways. Aedes Aegypti and Anopheles are environment opportunists like the cockroach.
Epidemics where cockroaches were the cause or contributor. Intestinal infections, both viral and bacterial esp. Salmonella Typhi, Poliomyelitis, Cholera, Plague and Leprosy. (WHO)

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Really? I have never heard this before.
@Introvertebrate is right.

I've personally saw hungry T's (all of those were arboreals, as a note) refusing without 'if' and 'but' roaches like B.dubia etc but never, never, a cricket.

While you said a lot of good and valid things in your first post - #1 - about crickets, trust me, certain T's can be choosy with roaches.

Since forever I use both (roaches, crickets).

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
Now, this is something I've been wondering for a while now. Cockroaches are better feeders than crickets in almost every way. They are less predatory, easier to control, less likely to escape, just as easy to feed, easier to breed (crickets have ovipositors and require soil to lay eggs in, cockroaches don't). So why did crickets and not cockroaches became the go to?
I think the main answer is contained in the question. Where cockroaches could possibly find suitable breeding conditions in your average house in the UK or US and other countries with the same style of housing crickets are unlikely to find areas of substrate suitable for laying and hatching cricket eggs.

The species used vary I found out recently but in general they won't survive the outdoor climate in most of the countries they're sold in so they are not seen as a threat to the environment by the government.

That said, I use crickets mostly.
None of my scorpions will take the wood roaches we use here, although I did successfully grow baby scorpions to near adulthood in my roach colonies so they must have eaten them, perhaps there's a certain size or phase where they are more palatable.
The lizards can't catch the roaches before they hide, although the frogs do better, and once hidden the roaches don't come out.
The crickets are easily caught and if they escape and hide 5 minutes later they just wander around in front of the lizard or frog again.
Crickets are usually quite eager to fill up quickly on a veggie mix to gutload them where cochroaches eat slower and in smaller amounts in the one sitting.

Keep in mind also that the roaches I have experience with are Australian Wood Roaches, Nauphotea Cinera because it's illegal to keep the non-native roaches.
I can have non-native feeder crickets though!

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
I've had several T's absolutely refuse roaches. Didn't matter how hungry they were, but they'd jump all over a cricket. That being said, I still use roaches for all my herps which love them.

CladeArthropoda

Arachnoknight
I've had several T's absolutely refuse roaches. Didn't matter how hungry they were, but they'd jump all over a cricket. That being said, I still use roaches for all my herps which love them.
Is there any reason for this? I never thought tarantulas would be so selective in their prey choices.