whats your substrate

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Peat has its good qualities...unfortunately its dusty nature negatively effects my athsma....the stuff makes me miserable for a day or 2 when i work with it.

Get done working with a lot of it and blow your nose....looks like i was in a coal mine all day.
This is why I hold my breath when rehousing or making new enclosures ;)

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I tried using topsoil once, it just made me feel like I need a bath after working with the stuff so I just stick to coco fiber/peat moss mixes. It is by far my favorite looking substrate.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
So far all 3 of mine are just on Eco Earth coconut fibre, but thanks to the replies I have some great advice for when they grow into larger enclosures :D

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
hmm I remember getting an earfull when I was using strait topsoil. I cant remember if it was from here or not. But I used strait topsoil with vermeculate. and Ive used Pure coco fibre, coco mixed with peatmoss. , and even a variation of all three. I think my bohemai actually like the topsoil best. it tended to be out and about a bit more. Mabey because it was dark and he felt more camo ? Now I use a blend of all three. It varries a bit from tank to tank. I experiment with m y ratios a bit. Cant aruge with topsoil price though. Topsoil and peatmoss ( about 20-30 percent. is about the amount of moss I put in in my mixes.

Kevin0610

PeanutButter&Jelly
I normally use Eco Earth mixed with vermiculite. I'm currently trying out this Repti soil substrate that's supposed to hold moisture a bit better and i'm actually liking it.

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
so is there a way to tell how much the spider likes it , as far as a proffesional way goes ? I look at it as if its out and about and seems comftorble on it. rather then inside and off the substrait all the time . or in his burrow or whatever. however I may be looking at it backwards because I dont know how a T thinks. But id be interested to know the opinions and educated answers on the subject.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
so is there a way to tell how much the spider likes it , as far as a proffesional way goes ? I look at it as if its out and about and seems comftorble on it. rather then inside and off the substrait all the time . or in his burrow or whatever. however I may be looking at it backwards because I dont know how a T thinks. But id be interested to know the opinions and educated answers on the subject.
As long as they're not constantly climbing the walls of the enclosure or otherwise generally trying their hardest not to set foot on the substrate (as species from drier climates tend to do if the substrate is too damp) or hanging around the water dish all the time (as some tropical species might do when it's too dry) then they're most probably happy enough with it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It seems your Ts can read the label below :clown:
Well, definitely they are able to understand what's written below: "Ideal para llenar agujeros..." let's not forget that 80% of NW T's are able to speak Spanish perfectly, except for Brazilian ones :troll:

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I personally use mostly Coco-Fiber. back at the Tuscon Reptile show i spent ~20$ and got 2 10lbs bricks of the stuff(enough to fill 40+gals of our substrate) and so I've been slowly bleeding away at that(10 T's and 16 re-houses later I'm only half way through one brick) but i do like to get creative with my Moss Mixtures.
usually Sphagnum moss for my Avic and tropical species, and basic topsoil/vermaculite mixed in for my terrestrials.

for my obligate burrows i like to do a gradual effect of Coco fiber up top to a mixture of cocofiber and top soil in the middle to pure soil at the bottom(meticulously gone through to make sure no Stick/twigs or anything possibly pointy in their)
i feel gives it a more natural effect for them the further they dig.

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
As long as they're not constantly climbing the walls of the enclosure or otherwise generally trying their hardest not to set foot on the substrate (as species from drier climates tend to do if the substrate is too damp) or hanging around the water dish all the time (as some tropical species might do when it's too dry) then they're most probably happy enough with it.
Ahh so my post a few weeks back I was right to thin he didnt like it. thx reaper

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
I keep NW terrestrials. They do pretty good with ecoearth with leaf litter mixed in. My Ts like to eat the CUC, and the leaf litter gives the isopods a place to hide.

BabaYaga

Arachnopeon
Mostly OW's on peat moss, or plantation soil if I need a bigger bump in humidity.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
I use Eco-Earth coco fibre. Holds moisture great and you can control moisture amount. You can squeeze excess water out like a sponge and make the subturate perfect.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Been using pure coco peat, but have found that it is very loose and fluffy. Will be experimenting with top soil mixes next.