Whats your favorite ..

Ropes4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Arboreal T and why? I am ordering two new slings this week and need help chosing.. I am leaning towards the following

Venezuela Sun Tiger (Psalmopeous irminia)

Fringed Ornamental (Poecilotheria ornata)

Antilles Pinktoe (Avicularia versicolor)

Thanks, John

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would have to say either Tapinauchenius gigas or one of the Poecilotheria species (subfusca, ornata, rufilata, regalis and formosa come to mind). :D

bill

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
versicolors are soooooo pretty. i will get one eventually. arent pokies supposed to be aggressive? that would be a factor in choosing, i think. also, pokies usually get quite large. depends on whether you will be able to accomodate them. of course, it wouldnt come into play for awhile as you are talking about getting slings.... dont know much about the suntiger. my vote is the versi but then again, the only arboreal i've ever had is a pinktoe so i'm biased! ;) let us know what you pick! :)

kellygirl

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
I would have to say either Tapinauchenius gigas or one of the Poecilotheria species (subfusca, ornata, rufilata, regalis and formosa come to mind). :D

bill
ohhhhh yes! t. gigas! BEAUTIFUL! they are supposed to be wicked fast, if i remember correctly. the other factor is price. how much are you looking to spend or does it matter? pokies can get upwards of $100 but you can find a few species for around $25.

kellygirl

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I say go with the P. irminia. They are gorgeous! And if they are anything like their P. cambridgi, it will make awesome webs! Oh yeah, and did I mention that they are gorgeous?

I still haven't found any psycho bite reports for Psalamopoes like I have for Poecilotheria. Regalis is quite beautiful though.

A. versicolor is really gorgeous! Gotta love the color change.

I think that my P. cambridgi is fast enough, I don't even want to try messing with a Tapinauchenius gigas. They too are quite beautiful though!

Once again -- I say P. irminia!

Good Luck

Big Dragonfly

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My favorite tarantulas is a Malaysian Earth Tiger (Cyriopagopus thorelli).... because it's very colorful....

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
ohhhhh yes! t. gigas! BEAUTIFUL! they are supposed to be wicked fast, if i remember correctly.
kellygirl
Yep, they can be quite fast... But they're absolute showstoppers in full blown adult fuzzy glory. There's plenty of pics online, if you do a google image search for them. The pink-orange with gray pastel look is really rather unique. It's also a very light-colored spider, not too common even among the more 'ornate' species.

bill

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Of those 4, my vote'd go to the p. ornata, or the P. irminia. The irmina I have makes igh rise dirt apartments in it's conatiner with web infrastructures. Very cool to see. Poke's are just too awesome to pass up, on the other hand. Get both!

Bill

Ropes4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I sould have clarified myself better -

I am not concerned with enclosure size as I will (if I can find someone) be building display cases for these two spiders.

I prefer to spend less than 50 per sling but if something really really eye catching came along I might bite

I havent had a wicked fast spider yet ... and I think I am ready.. famous last words eh?

John

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Kellygirl, I think you over exaggerate the pokes and their aggression. I have 3 different species and each of them are absolutely gorgeous and no they don't act aggressive towards me. I have the P.regalis, P.ornata, and the P.rufiliata and I love them all. I agree because I also have an A.versicolor and yes she is gorgeous also. I also have 3 P.irminias and they are absolutely gorgeous also!!!! I think you need to give both species a chance before you count them out.

Ropes4U, It's entirely up to you but all of your choices are unique and quite pretty. The P.irminia does web all over the cage but their colors are just gorgeous. As for the pokes, I can't begin to express how pretty they are and they have so many colors on their underside its unreal!!! Both species are quite fast yet worth it. Look at some pics and its up to you!:D

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have some A. versicolor, P. ornata, and P. cambridgei

i vot3 for all of them.

A. versicolor is the most colorful and in my experience a very docile aboreal.... fast, but not overly flighty... just sometimes they'll bolt.
have high humidity requirements and need good ventilation at the same time.

P. ornata are fast, but not aggresive.... very flighty....
i have to say they have the best markings of any tarantula. very cool iredecense too....
probably the easiest for husbandry.... needs humidity, but not as much as the others.

P. cambridgei has the best looking body structure and is very unique. fast, but not aggresive.... much like a pokie in my opinion.
pretty easy to take care of, but needs a little more humidity than a pokie.

i would just get one of each..... but definatly get an A. versicolor! they are absolutly stunning!

Ropes4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am ordering the Psalmopoeus irminia and the Poecilotheria ornata from Kelly Swift - he put up with a lot of stupid questions from me so I owe him :cool:

Thanks for all your input,
John