What's wrong with this B. Smithi?

Nyke

Arachnopeon
I rescued this 5 yr old unsexed smithi from a negligent owner. It had a bald abdomen yet shriveled. He refuses food and did not drink. I immediately changed his dirty substrate and threw away his dirty hide and decors. Is he dying? His abdomen is small and that bald spot is funny looking so I don't think he is in premolt.

Attachments

Last edited:

iwlim

Arachnopeon
Jesus he's so dehydrated! Put him in an ICU. I don't know how it's not in a death curl

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Can you post a pic of the pedipalps, also? I don't want to say mature male because I can't trust my red eyes judgement in this after booze pure morning :lock:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Give your T a bowl of water. Honestly, he looks like a MM that is on his way out, BUT, some MM live longer than expected at times.

Jesus he's so dehydrated! Put him in an ICU. I don't know how it's not in a death curl
Generally speaking there's no need to put a dehydrated T into an ICU. What are you isolating the T from, that is the purpose of an isolation chamber after all??

If a human animal was dehydrated, we don't throw them into an ICU. We provide them liquid.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Did you happen to buy that from craigslist? I saw the same ad. If so, unfortunately that is a MM. The pedipalps were clear in the add pictures. It was just a guy (or girl) looking to take advantage of someone by offloading their dying tarantula. Hopefully you at least haggled. The enclosure that it came with looked very nice.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Pinch grab him and flip him over in your hand and put several drops of water right on his mouth. Do that instead of an ICU. Also is this a MM?

Nyke

Arachnopeon
Can you post a pic of the pedipalps, also? I don't want to say mature male because I can't trust my red eyes judgement in this after booze pure morning :lock:
I will try to get one when I get home tonight. According to the previous owner, he had it for 5 years, he should be an MM. I just dampened new substrate and put a bowl of water in his enclosure. He hasn't moved much since probably disliking the damp substrate. His old enclosure and decors were covered in white stuff, I was thinking his poop, so I threw them all out and put new substrate.

Did you happen to buy that from craigslist? I saw the same ad. If so, unfortunately that is a MM. The pedipalps were clear in the add pictures. It was just a guy (or girl) looking to take advantage of someone by offloading their dying tarantula. Hopefully you at least haggled. The enclosure that it came with looked very nice.
Yes, this is the same one, and when I saw the T I did not want to buy it. So I just paid him my assessment of the cost of the enclosure and the heat lamp and gave him an extra $20 for the T hoping I can save it. No way is it worth his asking price. Lol.