What's wrong with my b. Smithi?

Demon187

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My B. Smithi is acting up. I've had her the longest and she is the biggest of all my tarantulas at the moment but she has recently been acting very strange. I have her in a 30x30 exo terra with the stock background in it, coco fibre substrate and a cork bark hide which she never uses. Every night since I changed her substrate and cleaned her cage she has be biting off the top left corner of the background. I awoke one morning to find a pile of polystyrene below a huge hole at the top. She has broken off very small parts before but now she has been going all out. I spend most nights at my girlfriends house so don't get to keep my eye on her as much as I'd like. I will post pics soon but I'm on my iPhone at the moment and will have to wait till I get on a computer.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like maybe she's still getting used to the new substrate, and is restless.

Demon187

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The substrate is the same as what I've always used although I suppose it's damper than before as it's fresh in. It is normally bone dry apart from a small area around the water dish. Hopefully that is all it is. She has gone off her food too and although she is due a molt soon the bald patch on her abdomen isn't darkening.

Ghostmooner

Arachnopeon
sounds like she needs a dry spot to molt onto. my Ts can't stand damp soil when nearing molting, they either web the hell out of a spot or always stay ontop of something dry all time. i'd get something dry and flat she can molt on and see what happens. and start staying home at night to watch her, for a few weeks.

Demon187

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
she still hasnt started to molt, and she took a large locust today so at least she is feeding.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree that it sounds like she is just adjusting to the new substrate. It may not seem like a big deal to us that it's a bit damper, but if they are used to dry sub it's a huge change for them... Imagine the entire ground you walk on changing suddenly lol

Glad to hear she's eating again.. that's definitely a good sign!