What's this?

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aphantochilus is only found in Central and South America, nowhere near where this specimen was found. Sorry, but I think the locality is wrong.

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Guess what!? You can actually see the AME's very well on this exact Salticid. I didn't realize it until now, but they are there and are as big and bright as any other Salticid ant mimicer around. I can't believe we've all missed them until now!

NRF

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The large AME:s are not easy to see on this photo but would I agree with KUJordan that they are large and present. What is also present and to me very convincing are the PLE:s which are far back on the carapace, which to my knowledege isn't the case in any other ant mimicing spiders than Salticidae.
(sorry for copying and modifying the pic without permission :) )

Attachments

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Weird. I agree with you on the PLE, but my screen must be dim or my colors off because I can't see the AME's even with the arrows. :? I can kinda see the structure above them that would suggest they are there.

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
NRF- that's exactly what I saw as the AME's the other day! Glad we got this cleared up. So Salticidae it is...