What's this? How worried should I be.

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found some type of white stuff in my King Baboons jar. They kind of look like lint. It seems like they appeared overnight and they are ALL OVER the place. Here are some cheese pics just to give you an idea of what it looks like.......

Attachments

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
kind of a close up

They seemed to appear right on the day my King Baboon molted (probably coincidence) They don't seem to be moving or anything, I don't think they are mites. Do you think I need to change the substrate out immediately......I don't really have a chance to get all the stuff to make more substrate right now, I am busy, busy, busy. If you scare me enough I might make time though.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Could be mold:confused: It's hard to tell from the pictures.
If you say it appeared over night, it just may be ugly old mold :eek:

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like a mold or fungus. Change the substrate. Try keeping the substrate a little drier than you are now. You could also try nuking the substrate for 3 - 5 minutes in the microwave before you use it and see if it makes a difference.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It looks like moldy poo to me. I wouldn't change all the substrate just yet. If it were me, I would just get a spoon and scoop out the dirt that is around the MOLDY POO (;P Doesn't that just sound f'd up?).

Jon

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, looking at the pictures again, I'm not so sure it is MOLDY POO. ;P Just say that out loud in a deep voice a couple of times. MOLDY POOOOOOOOO.

Oh well, but it is mold. Changing out the substrate might not be a bad idea after all. BTW. what kind of substrate are you using anyways? I recommend either straight peat moss or a mixture of peat moss and vermiculite. The peat moss is resistant to mold and the vermiculite is great for moisture retention.

Jon

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
It looks like moldy poo to me. I wouldn't change all the substrate just yet. If it were me, I would just get a spoon and scoop out the dirt that is around the MOLDY POO (;P Doesn't that just sound f'd up?).

Jon
If that is mold, the white spots are probably just the reproductive part of the mold (you know, the part with the spores and stuff, whatever the proper word for it is). And there are probably mold filaments all through the substrate. I think you should replace the substrate immediately.

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup looks like mould to me too. Change that substrate quicksmart

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's mold, i know my mold, haha. And if you spoon it out it will come back, i would definatly change the substrate ASAP. It would be best for your spider. good luck
Mike

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Make time for your T

Get off your butt and change the substrate. I'm with Big D, vermiculite and peat moss work perfectly together. I was getting mold with potting soil and vermiculite. I clean (poop and boluses), turn and mist my subsrate mixture and have had no problems. Would you leave mold or piles of sh*t in your dogs kennel? I rest my case.

:?

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
New home....kinda

Well, I changed out the forest bed substrate with some good ol' Peat Moss/Vermiculite on Sunday. She started burrowing mighty quickly so I take it she took a liking to the stuff. She had molted about 2 weeks ago for the 3rd time since I've had her but still looks the same as right after I got her (a year ago).

Here is the only picture I got, I tried to get one of her with carnage (my size gauger) but she was not having it. That's the first time I've ever heard stridulating in "real life".

Attachments