whats the safest way to introduce a male

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
I'm trying to take the next step in the hobby and I would like to know what is the safest way to introduce a male T to a female.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Make sure she is WELL FED first!

I always have my males approach the females in their enclosures. I keep tools on hand to assist in saving either spider if one decides they want to make a meal of the other.

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
thank you for the reply and I will be Shure to feed her really well.

any more ways to help to insure the males safety

cold blood

Staff member
Feed the male prior as well.

I introduce the male generally by putting the cages side by side and guiding him to the top. I let him take it from there.

Watch for tapping from the male, this is a good sign. A male that freezes, or taps, then freezes when the female emerges, may be sensing the female isn't "in the mood".

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Dress him up nice! Make sure he showered and brushed his fangs before too! A dubia bouquet wouldn't hurt either, tarantula ladies are fickle petty creatures, even more so that the new Jersey female

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
Dress him up nice! Make sure he showered and brushed his fangs before too! A dubia bouquet wouldn't hurt either, tarantula ladies are fickle petty creatures, even more so that the new Jersey female
I think I have a 8 sleeved white tux lying around some were that should fit him real nice and for dinner I was thinking a spread of red runners, dubia, meal worms and some super worm pupa for dessert.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@Poec54 gave me some of the best advice I've gotten:

If both parties aren't tapping, then try again later. Simple as that.

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
they hit it off and have plans to see each other again tomorrow and he didn't need any booze to get his lady.

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
thank you all for the great advice these two have been paired 4 times so far without incident.

cold blood

Staff member
thank you all for the great advice these two have been paired 4 times so far without incident.
wtf...4 times....are you trying to get him munched? One good pairing is enough, after that save him in case you need him again....say, if she molts out.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I had an odd thread pop up this morning like it was a recent one. The first post was from a year ago and had the red New tag on it. I almost did the same thing. :D

cold blood

Staff member
A bit late to the party, aren't you?
I've been had:bag:

How did I even find this thread again???:banghead:

@Toxoderidae should have been all over me on this one.:bored: Where'd he go btw...oh well, he'll be happy to know I wasn't allowed to get away with re-viving and answering a dead thread without consequences.:astonished: