What's the most underrated tarantula in the hobby?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
There was a veterinary report that specifically discussed dogs which were bitten by Australian tarantulas. Were cats also mentioned in that report, or in another (I think I only had limited access to the paper)? Venoms affect mammals differently, so just because it's harmful to dogs doesn't necessarily mean that cats are also at an elevated risk.
I cannot give any sources unfortunately, but I do remember researching their venom breifly before buying my first one and remember two instances where a cat got tagged and died. One of them I believe was nothing more than the cat opening the lid and tapping the spider (I was a little sceptical due to Selenotypus rather bolty nature), and the cat was dead when the owner returned and worked out what happened. I will try and hunt down for you where I read that

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
H.maculata - as beautiful as any Pokie.
Somewhat agree, but I would go with Stromatopelma calceatum. Now sure if it's fear or what but I don't see that a lot of people keeping them, and they don't get mentioned much, other than how bad their venom is. A lot more people keep H. macs.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Rosies
B albo
LP
N chromatus

All very common and cheap, which probably leads to collectors brushing them off in search of rarer spiders. I have probably 50 different t’s, yet these spiders are all in my top ten.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You may be right, but I usually see most newbies talking about P. irminia, and most experienced people talking about P. pulcher, victori, etc.
I don't think many mention victori simply because they're still pretty expensive. The least mentioned Psalmo I can think of would probably be reduncas

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's incredible that no one ever mentioned the likes of Megaphobema robustum, Megaphobema velvetosoma (a nice breeding here in Italy, recently, btw) etc

It's beyond me :)

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I'm going to have to go with A. avicularia morph #1. All the Avics are beautiful, but I think morph #1 being the most common makes it less appealing to some.

I was never interested in Avics until I got my girl, and I only took her because she was free. They just seemed kinda boring and uninteresting to me. But after getting a good look at her and actually watching her, I realize how wrong I was. They have lots of character, can reach decent sizes, have subtle but beautiful colors, and are in my opinion are among the easiest species to care for (granted you actually know their care and don't follow care sheets). Not to mention, they seem to win over quite a few arachnophobes with their fluffiness and pink toes

louise f

Arachnoangel
Most underrated species IMO is def: ( Here in DK ) P. cambridgei, Heteroscodra maculata, Lasiodora parahybana, Brachypelma vagans.

Dman

Arachnosquire
Most underrated species IMO is def: ( Here in DK ) P. cambridgei, Heteroscodra maculata, Lasiodora parahybana, Brachypelma vagans.
I love my P. cam. She is shy and hides a lot though. Very fast!

Phia

Arachnopeon
What do you think is the most underrated tarantula?

I'll go first: Orphnaecus philippinus. A unusual looking T, sort of like a giant brown recluse, except it's orange. Mild disposition and (supposedly) weak venom, It's also my choice for best first OW. It is on the small side, which is a drawback for some, but if you're looking for something different, you can't go wrong with this T.
omg. I've wanted an Orphnaecus philippinus ever since my Mum bought me a paperweight of a dead one incased in acrylic. Kind of a brutal present for someone who likes living tarantulas, but, Lol, she was doing her best! Very unusual looking T.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Somewhat agree, but I would go with Stromatopelma calceatum. Now sure if it's fear or what but I don't see that a lot of people keeping them, and they don't get mentioned much, other than how bad their venom is. A lot more people keep H. macs.
I’ve been perusing this thread since it started, and waiting to see if/when someone would mention S. cals. I love mine. It’s out very frequently, and when it is out it is not intimidated by jack, light, noise, whatever. Plus, they are fabulous looking. Yep, a handful with which to deal (I like to think of it as “spirited”), but that’s part of keeping right, learning to work with them? Out of the 30ish T’s I keep (and I REALLY like many of them), I am only considering multiples of the S. cal. The dirt cheap, cool looking, feisty, adrenaline dump inducing, little devil.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I’ve been perusing this thread since it started, and waiting to see if/when someone would mention S. cals. I love mine. It’s out very frequently, and when it is out it is not intimidated by jack, light, noise, whatever. Plus, they are fabulous looking. Yep, a handful with which to deal (I like to think of it as “spirited”), but that’s part of keeping right, learning to work with them? Out of the 30ish T’s I keep (and I REALLY like many of them), I am only considering multiples of the S. cal. The dirt cheap, cool looking, feisty, adrenaline dump inducing, little devil.
They are more fun than H. macs, that's for sure (I have both). A couple of weeks ago I dropped a couple of blowfly maggots into enclosure, knowing they were ready to pupate. When they emerged she had great time stalking them. She reminded me of a jumping spider - she would sneak up then half-run, half-jump at them. It took her awhile but she caught both of them. It's not something I would do a lot but every once in awhile for a change of pace. I might try this with some of my other arboreals too.