What's the Coldest Temps a T can handle??

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was just wondering, what's the coldest temp a T can survive in. I would appreciate it if you know the conversion to included Degrees Celcius please.
I currently have all my T's at night with about 18C and daytime around 25C. This is about the coldest it gets here during winter. For the last 3 months all have been fine. Had 3 molts all fine during this time. Is this ok, or am I taking a chance???

Thanks

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any time you don't keep a species in it's ideal temperature and humidity range you are taking a chance. If they seem to be doing fine at the coldest temps you let them reach, then keep on doing what you're doing, but know that its not whats BEST for the tarantula.

I don't know what species you're dealing with, but I lived in the tropics for 5 or so years and the temp never dipped below 20C (68F) or so, and even when it did it was for very BRIEF periods.

I dont think youre going to get a straight answer to this question. If it works for you fine, but its probably not whats best for the T and you are taking some risk by not keeping it in ideal conditions!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had a Brachy freeze overnight in my car in Nebraska. When I stopped it was not near freezing and I though I could leave the two in the tank in the car. I thought they were gonners because it got down to 15 degrees but a few miles into my drive for the day they started walking around again.
T's in general I think can take cold much better then they can take to much heat.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i've never used a heating element unless it drops below 50* and all my t's seem to be fine....from slings to adults, this also includes my scrops....

soooo i think sometimes we can be overly cautious but t's seem to adapt well, all by themselves...

though with that said, i wouldn't expose them they to freezing type temps for long periods of time, is generally a good rule of thumb....

Shadow Tongue

Arachnopeon
This is good to know about the lower temperatures. If anyone would like to throw in a number for the maximum temperature tarantulas can handle as well, it would be much appreciated. Here in south Georgia, living in a trailer, heat's the much bigger enemy!

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any time you don't keep a species in it's ideal temperature and humidity range you are taking a chance. If they seem to be doing fine at the coldest temps you let them reach, then keep on doing what you're doing, but know that its not whats BEST for the tarantula.

I don't know what species you're dealing with, but I lived in the tropics for 5 or so years and the temp never dipped below 20C (68F) or so, and even when it did it was for very BRIEF periods.

I dont think youre going to get a straight answer to this question. If it works for you fine, but its probably not whats best for the T and you are taking some risk by not keeping it in ideal conditions!
Can you please elaborate more on what you mean by not 'best' for the T??
Most caresheets I've looked at say between 70 & 85 F. Now at 18C, it's not all that much lower and it's not consistent. How is this a risk??

I have the following species
Grammastola - Rosea, Pulchra, Aureostriata
L Parahybana, C Crawshayi, N Chromatus
A Versicolor, Purpurea, Sp Amazonica
H Hercules SP

I really just want to know if I'm at risk of losing them by not providing heat. Don't most of these T's see temps that low (18C) in the wild at night?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you please elaborate more on what you mean by not 'best' for the T??
Most caresheets I've looked at say between 70 & 85 F. Now at 18C, it's not all that much lower and it's not consistent. How is this a risk??

I have the following species
Grammastola - Rosea, Pulchra, Aureostriata
L Parahybana, C Crawshayi, N Chromatus
A Versicolor, Purpurea, Sp Amazonica
H Hercules SP

I really just want to know if I'm at risk of losing them by not providing heat. Don't most of these T's see temps that low (18C) in the wild at night?
I'm more of a scorp guy so dont take my advice too seriously! I don't know the exact temps for each of those species but i find mid to high 80's (26-31C) to be the "ideal" for almost everything I keep. They grow faster, seem more active, and have no problems molting at these temps.

If you're able to keep them that low (18C) then thats good! I was just relating what works best for me.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
g. pulchras are more of a cooler temp species, under 80* works best for these guys... the others i don't own so i cant comment on them....

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@ Tabor - No problem, I'm really just interested in the effects it might have on my T's if any.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Which species are you talking about? Different sp can handle different temps. For instance each Winter my Aphonopelma hentzis are moved into the garage where temps can dip into the 40sF

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brian, check out my earlier post for the T's I have.