What's my Peruvian Giant doing?

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i was going to say these are the best pics i have ever seen untill i seen scotts...wow both are very good i have never seen a pede molt before its pretty intresting

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Clearly what I meant by "the best" was "besides Scott's molt pics". ;)
To be honest, I forgot about that excellent set you posted Scott.
Guess I just can't stay comitted to only one set of molt pics huh? I'm a molt-pic-playah! Don't hate the playa, hate the game!

Atrax ;P

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats John! You go Unicron:D

Simply stunning. As soon as possible get a measurement!

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here's the 24 hr. update. Cast skin all gone, and turnin' orange. Wants to bite me.
john

Attachments

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
John,

Now that you've seen both pedes and T's molt first hand, which one do you think is the more amazing of the two? I have to go with the pedes myself. Not to knock what a T goes through, but it's nothing compared to what a large pede has to deal with....

Scott

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
John,
Now that you've seen both pedes and T's molt first hand, which one do you think is the more amazing of the two?
Scott
It's an amazing process for both tarantulas and centipedes. I still have to go with tarantulas though. They molt their stomach lining and everything. The mechanics of a tarantula molting it's skin is still very neat to me. A centipede molting seems like they have it alot easier. They split at the section behind the head, and that first segment, then just kind of ease themselves out.
I imagine centipedes have some regeneration capabilities. Is it to the same degree as a tarantula? I once read a story of a tarantula regenerating a portion of it's coxa. That would kinda be like us, regenerating our shoulder.
Large centipedes have it rough too. With this Peruvian giant, I actually felt sorry for it. Like I said in my previous post, I noticed the spiracles opening and closing, like it was gasping for breath.
I'm glad I could witness such a process.
john

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
It probably was. I believe that they shed the spiracle lining as well. At least it looked as if there was exuvia coming out of the spiracles while I was watching...

Scott