What's happening?

CS2x

Arachnopeon
Hi

I am a real newbie...and I was wondering, why has my tarantula made a large cave-like web surrounding it, whilst sitting on what looks like a bunch of eggs? How on earth will it eat or drink? (there are no entrances to this "liar") And, does this mean it'll die soon (in it's newly made den) or will it eventually come out?

Sorry about my ignorance....I am new to tarantulas.....:)

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

If it shelled itself up it either means it is about to molt or has an eggsack! Just keep the water dish full and if it gets thirsty itll eventually come out. Molting T's will lock themselves up for a couple weeks w/out food or water, and the mothers for even longer.

-V

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Web shells like this are often spun when they are brooding with an egg sac as Vayu points out. If your T was wild caught this is not that unusual (and would explain the fast you complained about in another thread ;)). The T can get out of that seemingly impenetrable shell much faster than you would believe. Keep her warm, keep her quiet. She may not emerge for as long as three months or more but always keep water available in case she does. If you do get slings, keep us posted and we can help you further - captive born G. rosea are always in demand from some hobbyists.

As for eating, if she comes out on her own you can offer food and see if she takes it. If not, remove it because you don't want anything to stress her. She can go as long as *years* without eating and still live so don't worry about it.

It is also possible that she is moulting although the web shell is most common with breeding females to the best of my knowledge.

CS2x

Arachnopeon
Thanks a lot for the help...

Now I see why she behaved so sluggishly beforehand..I don't mind a calm tarantula, but I was worried by her lack of eating...

Oh, another thing...I feel very guilty, because not knowing what the web was, I put a cricket on top, which partly broke it. She seems to be mending it. Will this stress ruin the home forever, or can she rebuild the nest?

Thanks anyways.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She should fix it on her own, don't worry about that. The big thing to do is from this point out, try to keep disturbances to a minimum. It could take as long as three months for the eggs to hatch so you've got some time to be patient.

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you take a pic? Then we can be sure tha it's an Eggsac