What would you recommend...

electra

Arachnopeon
I have 5 T's, 2 slings and 3 near adult. I have been feeding the larger 3 crickets ever since I got them. I searched and found that some people recommend roaches for various reasons, but their posts are mainly on the Myriapods and Scorpions forums. So, are crickets my only option? I tried mealworms once with no luck at all, they just burrowed down. Have you had any disease problems? At what point does it make sense to start a breeding colony? Or should I still be making weekly runs to the local pet store? Thanks.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
roaches are a great alternative because they don't smell as badly, reproduce easily, and actually live under some pretty bizarre conditions. i'm going to start feeding roaches to my T's as soon as they all get a little bigger. as for now, it's just gut loaded crix.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No, crickets arent the only feeder option. I have a colony of B. Dubia roaches, and there's a constant supply of feeders for every size tarantula. With mealworms, you have to try to get the T to see it (put it in front of the T) and they will grab it if they are hungry. Also, for arboreal T's, you can just take a worm and stick it in the web. They'll get to it eventually; it's not going anywhere.

I think it makes sense to start a breeder colony if you have more than just a few tarantulas. It saves money and the hassle of going to the pet store every week.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would recommend you to give variety preys for your T's, try with roaches some days and other days with crickets or worms, and yes, is a really good idea to start a breeder colony of preys, maybe of roaches, they live more and reproduce very fast.

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no body siad this so i thoguth i would, lol, but you can try using locysts, they dont stink and dont leg it and jump to much.:D
pete

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have a few different sp. of roach colonies to feed my T's and i also feed them crickets and superworms on occasions. if you start breeding roaches or crickets correctly you will have feeders for every size T.

since you only have 5 it might be overwelming to start a feeder colony. then you're options are to sell feeders or get more T's. no point in saying what most people on here end up doing.....ha! :p

christin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmmmm...

I'm also debating about the roach thing. which variety do you think is best over all? I'm thinking b. discotalis or b. dubia. And has anyone ever had an issue with them getting out and taking over the house? I guess thier not egg layers, but I have to ask. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. I am looking to feed 14 tarantulas/spiders.

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We can get our crickets in bulk over here, 500 arrive in a bag in the post and we just pot them up. We have discovered that if you put them in a china mug they can't jump out, they just scuttle round and round the bottom. I may try a colony of roaches though, that sounds good.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
no body siad this so i thoguth i would, lol, but you can try using locysts, they dont stink and dont leg it and jump to much.:D
pete

I have been wanting to get some baby locusts...since you mention it, could you point me in the right direction to get some?

I would really like to feed my T's crickets, silk worms, locust, roaches, grasshoppers, and meal/superworms...just because variety is the spice of life. All I need is to find where to get the less common feeders...anyone?

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just google 'tarantula live food for sale' or something similar n see what comes up - lots of dealers with a bit of luck

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At the moment I can only get crickets, so that is all my T's get to eat. The problem with crics is :
1.) The smell
2.) Alot die b4 becoming food
3.) Oh & did I mention the smell

Anywayz, I would like to start a colony but it is very hard to get roaches from where I am & I only know of one guy trying it. He will only be able to help us out in a few months. So coming to the point I would definately recommend you to try get a colony started of roaches. Then you can mix your food that your T's get. And cuz the roach colony will hardly cost you anything (maintenence wise) & have alot of roaches, you can buy more T's & it won't cost you anything to feed them. :)

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yea

I say try it but i have to disagree with the roach thing i had some orange heads that would burrow and they smelled and were just to big for my t's. Id stick to crickets like me but crickets do smell and they do die but i tried using some of that Fluker's calcium gutload stuff and it works well makes the cricket healthier and live longer 2 me.

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When we get our 500 brown crickets in a bag, we split them into about 15 tubs with bran in the bottom, and part of an egg box to hid in. We feed them carrot and flake tropical fish foodand keep them at room temperature. They dont smell and very few die.