What Was Your First Tarantula?

ECH

Arachnopeon
So I’m curious to know different peoples first T! I know most first T’s are a B. hamorii, G. rosea, B. albipilosum, GBB, etc. but feel free to tell a funny story about your first tarantula. Or if there’s people like me who have had a weird first tarantula that isn’t a common beginner species? My first T was a Hapelopelma minax. I got her about 2 years ago and she’s about 3-4” now.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
My first tarantula was a 5" Grammostola porteri, so basically everybody's first tarantula. She's a weird one. A lot more defensive than I would've expected, she's the type that gets into a fight with the stream of water coming down into her water bowl. Also the type that angrily turns around when prodded with a paint brush. She's still my Queen though, my collection wouldn't be complete without her:D

So I’m curious to know different peoples first T! I know most first T’s are a B. hamorii, G. rosea, B. albipilosum, GBB, etc. but feel free to tell a funny story about your first tarantula. Or if there’s people like me who have had a weird first tarantula that isn’t a common beginner species? My first T was a Hapelopelma minax. I got her about 2 years ago and she’s about 3-4” now.
Haplopelma minax is beautiful! How did you manage that speed/temper though??? I bet rehousings have been a blast so far:rofl:

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I got two to start with, 1 juvie B. albopilosum and a P. murinus sling. The B. albo matured male a year later and lived almost a year more. The P. murinus turned out female and lived for 7-8 yrs before a molting accident, but produced 1 successful sac after a breeding on year 5.

ECH

Arachnopeon
My first tarantula was a 5" Grammostola porteri, so basically everybody's first tarantula. She's a weird one. A lot more defensive than I would've expected, she's the type that gets into a fight with the stream of water coming down into her water bowl. Also the type that angrily turns around when prodded with a paint brush. She's still my Queen though, my collection wouldn't be complete without her:D

Haplopelma minax is beautiful! How did you manage that speed/temper though??? I bet rehousings have been a blast so far:rofl:
Well my dad got two P. metallicas, and a freebie. The freebie was a Hapelopelma minax and he took care of her for a bit and he didn’t like her and I wanted to get in the hobby so I took her and dad assisted. So i can’t take all the credit cause I wasn’t alone.. but tbh she’s very docile atm but that might change in a year or two...

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Lasiodora parahybana. .....half inch sling,,, that is now 5inchs and loves to hide it' water dish.

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
My B. smithi was my first. He's a bit of a baby. He gets so scared of his food and if he sees me he's gone. Fast little one but I can usually get a nice picture when he's distracted by a good meal. :happy: 20180319_183328.jpg

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Well my dad got two P. metallicas, and a freebie. The freebie was a Hapelopelma minax and he took care of her for a bit and he didn’t like her and I wanted to get in the hobby so I took her and dad assisted. So i can’t take all the credit cause I wasn’t alone.. but tbh she’s very docile atm but that might change in a year or two...
Hey, it's great that you have someone to help you with a species like that! Fingers crossed that she'll stay calm for you!

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
My first T was a vicious avic avic. I'd post a video of her eating but I cant seem to figure how to do so.

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
So I got my first tarantula 7 years ago when I was in 6th grade ( middle school, I was 11 or 12 ) but I was not expecting it at all, my parents took me to a pet store here and they had a G. porteri ( kept very poorly ) and my dad said “I dare you to hold it” and I wanted to show him I was tough so I did, I was shaking the whole time, so I gave it back to the employee and we kept looking. A little bit later my dad said so what did you think of the spider and I said it was really cool, so that following Christmas BAM pet tarantula right there, I didn’t know what to do so I took it to my room ( in a glass tank with Cedar chips and a water bowl ) did some research about a month later and changed the entire enclosure, and a little after that she flipped on her back which scared the life out of me at the time cause I had no idea what was going on, but found out she was molting and I was excited, that spring I became infatuated with the tarantula hobby and I ordered my second tarantula offline from kenthebugguy which was a B. hamorii and I’ve been obsessed ever since. To date I have kept 10 tarantulas and 4 scorpions

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Haha! Technology is no match for me. There's the video of the avic eating. Don't bash me too hard for that enclosure. I didn't know much about T's at the time so I made a few mistakes while trying to figure out what I was doing. None of my T's live in tanks like that, I feel like I should make that clear.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
My first was an Avic avic I got when I was in the 7th grade, more than 20 years ago. I ended up selling it to a friend of mine before I went off to college.

ECH

Arachnopeon
So I got my first tarantula 7 years ago when I was in 6th grade ( middle school, I was 11 or 12 ) but I was not expecting it at all, my parents took me to a pet store here and they had a G. porteri ( kept very poorly ) and my dad said “I dare you to hold it” and I wanted to show him I was tough so I did, I was shaking the whole time, so I gave it back to the employee and we kept looking. A little bit later my dad said so what did you think of the spider and I said it was really cool, so that following Christmas BAM pet tarantula right there, I didn’t know what to do so I took it to my room ( in a glass tank with Cedar chips and a water bowl ) did some research about a month later and changed the entire enclosure, and a little after that she flipped on her back which scared the life out of me at the time cause I had no idea what was going on, but found out she was molting and I was excited, that spring I became infatuated with the tarantula hobby and I ordered my second tarantula offline from kenthebugguy which was a B. hamorii and I’ve been obsessed ever since. To date I have kept 10 tarantulas and 4 scorpions
I bet you really show your dad how tough you are now

ECH

Arachnopeon
Haha! Technology is no match for me. There's the video of the avic eating. Don't bash me too hard for that enclosure. I didn't know much about T's at the time so I made a few mistakes while trying to figure out what I was doing. None of my T's live in tanks like that, I feel like I should make that clear.
Beautiful T! Even though it’s mean, it’s always fun to have a feisty spider :)

Turiell

Arachnopeon
My first was a E.sp red female, and her white speck of a sling that was given as a freebie. When I saw the size of that little, tiny creature, I have to admit I kind of panicked. I had never cared for something so small. I was sure I'd do something wrong and kill it.

However, a little over a year from that nervous day my tiny baby has been doing great. He eats well and molts frequently. In fact he just molted a few days and I got some pictures of him. Hopefully they are clear enough!

I love his mother too, she's so darling. Bringing those two in my life is the best thing I've ever done for myself!

20180322_222013.jpg
20180322_222005.jpg

Last edited:

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
My first is a B. albo purchased at the same time as my husband's first, a B. vagans (Valentine's day last year). They were approximately 0.5" and are both now around 3". Two weeks later, we each had an A. avic, and within two months, had a collection of 25 (down to 23 now due to one death and one given to a friend as a gift).